Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dual GPUs problem

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all ,

is that 2019 premiere pro cc , while playback cannot not running dual GPUs ?my is 2013 Mac Pro 3.5 ghz dual D500 display card .when playback only can full load one GPU the other one was idle but export file can use both my why??  

playback lag with effect in 1/2 resolution already use proxy file setting !

anyone can help ..lot of file  need to edit    ‍:male_sign:

Many thx !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

This is just how Premiere works. It uses one GPU to render effects in the timeline, but dual GPUs for exporting and processing frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just how Premiere works. It uses one GPU to render effects in the timeline, but dual GPUs for exporting and processing frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may be abrupt, that is NOT an answer. My Mac Pro carries two GPU's with full expectation they be leveraged in both editing and export functions. Why has this not yet been addressed? We have 4K video IN OUR LAPS right now, and Adobe isn't leveraging Dual D500's and D700's in this Mac after 6 years??  What are they waiting for?

TIA

Best, as always,

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David is a volunteer, not an Adobe employee, Loren. Don't take Adobe's product shortcomings out on him. You want to get the complaint in front of our devs, which you can do at this website: Premiere Pro: Hot (4352 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Hope in the future Premiere Pro can harness all the goodness inside your computer. For now, David's right; that's just how Premiere Pro is architected.

Good to see you on the forums, though! Miss you, my friend.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies to David; I value your contributions. The ACP makes you seem "in house" like Kevin.

Kevin, I will follow up as you suggest. I really DO want to know why??

Best, as always.

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loren, that's a common misconception. All us "ACP" types carry that yellow-ish ACP badge, while most all employees have the red Adobe A badge, like Kevin's.

Why the GPU use process? ... I think that will probably fall into the category of "that was what, at the last time this was worked on, we had budgeted time to achieve". The Premiere development team is far smaller than most users probably think it is.

So PLEASE go over to the features link that Kevin provided, search for a post and pile on if there's a good one, or create you own. Either way, post back here with a link so the rest of us can go vote for it.

Adobe lives by metrics. The votes on the features/bug page are one heavily used internally created metric. Let's use it. We need to shake a bit more budget for app work out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice, R. Neil. Have followed up. I made an error in not distinguishing what I was reavting to this time around— I dustbust in Photoshop CC and it seems I cross-posted when following the link-- but the complaint is the same! So I hop emy vote counts.

Best, as always,

Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

A question about that.   I have read the Adobe sheet about using dual GPU's however, I have not seen any spec's which indicate how using a second for exporting and processing frames is improved/time reduced by any measureable factor?

I have a Lenovo P620 AMD ThreadRipper with 12-Cores/seemed more was a waste for Premier but can of course being it's a PC upgrade the CPU down the line if warrented.  It currently has 128GB of RAM/can always add more up to 1TB.  Am using one RTX 4000 GPU currently and was thinking of adding a second one but am concerned about the lack of data showing any improvements.

Thanks,

Gilbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2080Ti has 11GB of vRAM, with the same Turing chip. That vRAM is rather important. Your card has only 8GB of vRAM.

From the real-world stuff I've seen discussed, PrPro can use the onboard graphics and pretty much one installed GPU card. You could check over at Puget Systems, they publish a ton of tests on GPU use in all the video apps ... PrPro, Ae, Resolve, whatever.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niel,

Generally not heard 8MB of VRam referred to as "only" but while technically 31.5  differential on a percentage basis I would imagine real world useage would see different results.

Know of Puget and will check them out though interesting/odd Adobe does not provide some base level data.

Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to a tech at Puget Video and their position is that there is No benefit from using dual GPUs for Premiere, full stop.  Also, given that Adobe has never published any data to support the benefit from dual GPUs it sounds more like a good marketing opportunity for GPU manufactuers to pitch a second, third or fourth unit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, until the PrPro team can add in support for multiple GPUs, there isn't much use in 'stacking' them. Many of my Resolve-based acquaintances do run dual setups of course. The second one is it seems heavily used for the extra vRAM it puts into play.

Wish PrPro could do that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One would think in the current environment, especially since it is all cloud-based (with overhead to your system, regardless of what they say) it would be useful - or perhaps because they went to the cloud they can't architect it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app isn't in the cloud ... it's on each machine. The full code is there. So yea, they can change any part of the architecture as they wish.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, so just pricing (SaaS) model in the clouds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In their cloud is the sync storage of your preferences, all the assets you have in Libraries, several other things. Go to your CC Desktop app, and you can see your storage and things that can be done with it.

But the code for the app itself is local to each machine.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines