Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Link Broken with Premiere CC2020 Update

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just updated to CC 2020 for Premiere and After Effects, and now my AE linked compositions show as media offline. I right click on the files to link media, select the appropriate .aep file and then get another error message that says After Effects must be installed in order to link the media. It is installed, and I'm able to open the .aep file in After Effects 2020, and have saved a new copy of the project file. I've cleared the media cache in Premiere, but continue to get the error message. I'd rather not have to export all the individual clips from After Effects and import them into Premiere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Update: I spoke with someone from Adobe through the online chat support, and got an easy fix. With all of my adobe apps closed, located the "Dyanmic Link Media Server" folder on my computer (mine was under the Adobe folder in Documents). Renamed the folder to "Dynamic Link Media Server OLD", then restarted the computer. Once everything rebooted, I opened up Adobe Premiere, and opened the old CC2019 project file. It asked me to save a new version of the project, which I did and all of my AE linke

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe navigate to the file on your system, right click, and confirm that the “Opens with” option is set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I posted on here and got no response - finally got a response when I posted on twitter. Still haven't gotten a fix though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you import the previous project into Premiere, or merely "open" it in Premiere?

There is often a difference in what may get missed in database meta between the two. For some time it's been a "Best Practice" by many in the Premiere editing base to always migrate projects forward as such ...

• Create a new project file in the new version
  • In Media Browser in Premiere, navigate to the older verion project file
  • Import the older version project into the new version project file

This tends to get around many of these types of issues, and maybe it will work here.

Past that, there's of course trash preferences ...

Trashing Preferences: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2126506

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with this as well. I attempted to re-import these for multiple projects and it failed. I uninstalled CC, used the cleaner, re-installed 2020 and still had the issue. Fortunately, I found an autosave from a Ae2019 that I used to render the .aep and export to Pr as an .mov. It add three more steps to the workflow, but this is the only option. Also, Ae prevents rendering of any files previously created on Ae2019. Essentially, stalls Ae, freezes and requires Force Quit. I noticed the render is forced to start at a certain time onthe time line, the same for each failed attempt. I wonder if this is somethign to do the caching? All the caches are removed or cleared, prefernces are removed. That leaves just the .aep file reamaining, does that mean it is corrupt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I spoke with someone from Adobe through the online chat support, and got an easy fix. With all of my adobe apps closed, located the "Dyanmic Link Media Server" folder on my computer (mine was under the Adobe folder in Documents). Renamed the folder to "Dynamic Link Media Server OLD", then restarted the computer. Once everything rebooted, I opened up Adobe Premiere, and opened the old CC2019 project file. It asked me to save a new version of the project, which I did and all of my AE linked Comps could now be viewed and edited within the CC2020 project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting the fix.  Not enough people close these threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sure sounds good, but I have no such folder in my documents. Reimporting the compositions works, but there is no source timecode for the compositions that are offline, so it's a bit of a mess when there are any cuts in the timeline where the linked composition is. Anybody know where this folder is located in Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to go into Users/username/Documents/Adobe I believe to get to that file.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no such folder too (win 10), and I just created empty folder "Dynamic Link Media Server" into Users/username/Documents/Adobe and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting your solution....  Not enough people do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES.  This worked.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately none of them worked for me, probably because I'm on a Mac.

So here what I've done that worked for me.

First some context. 
Computer : Macbook Pro M1
Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 project with After effects 2021 Animations and sounds integrated with Dynamic Link.

After the update to 2022 versions, opening Adobe Premiere will freeze AE animations, will load indefinitely, or simply crash (need to force quit)

Solution
1- Quit all the apps

2- Kill the Dynamic link manager from Activity Monitor. Search for dynamiclinkmanager, click on it and then on the cross button to close / quit the app (this one is important)

3- Open finder then go to documents > Adobe and rename the folder dynamiclinkmediaserver to dynamiclinkmediaserver OLD (this step seems working on windows)

4- In finder open libraries (click on GO located on the top menu, click on alt button on keyboard) once in libraires > Application Support > Adobe and rename the folder dynamiclinkmediaserver to dynamiclinkmediaserver OLD

5- Turn off your mac and boot it.

6- Open Adobe Premiere and create a new project. Do not open the original project!

7- Click on file > import > entire project (choose your old project 2021, 2019 whatever)

The loading process may take longer than usual, it seems there's a conversion process from old to 2022

For me I had to do all these steps. I tried without step 3, 4 or 7 it didn't work. Not my first battle with buggy Adobe stuff.

Hopes it will help. Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my native language.

Wish you all the best from the Alps 🙂

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, I had the same problems. Followed your suggestions step-by-step. It fixed my project in 2022! Thanks!!

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam. This worked for my MBP 16 Intel. My issue was with AE 2022 not rendering to AME 2022.

And I agree, you should follow all his steps. I initially skipped the reboot and it didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam, thanks a lot man. You have finally saved me from this adobe problem after update 2022. 

I tried without step 4, 6 & 7  and its work. I found dynamiclinkmediaserver folder in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe location (windows 11). Just renmae the folder, clear all cache, reset premiere pro preferences (Open Premiere Pro with Hold Alt key), boot pc and reopen my last project. AND BOOM! ITS FINE. Looks there was no any error. 

Thanks man. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into this exact problem and tried this solution but the problem Persists. Has anyone found any other solutions because I am at a standstill and cannot get any work done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you updated to After Effects 2022, another possible and easy solution is to turn off "Multi-frame Rendering"

Go to After Effects Preferences > Memory & Perfromance tab, and uncheck "Enable Multi-Frame Rendering".

Adobe has a dedicated page for this new feature : https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/multi-frame-rendering.html 

Hopefuly it will work 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately still not working I have had to resort to Uninstaller the v22 programs and going back to the last version for now. Hopefully that will at least let me get my work done cuz I've already lost a day and half to this. So frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all the above and the thing that finally worked was me holding altwhile opening premiere and wiping my preferences. A happy end to a frustrating day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, none of the above work :(. I figured it out that compositions which is produced in AE, and then imported to Premiere (Ctrl + I in Premiere) is not automatically update. But if I do it reversely, it works as usual:
1. Open both AE and Premiere files
2. Create some blank thing in Premiere (solid, picture, footage, whatever)
3. Right click on it > Replace With After Effects Composition
4. Then work as usual on that newly created Comp in AE (usually named [your premiere file name] + comp + [No]).

Still, this is not a solution. My imported AE comps in Premiere are not automalitcally updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I spoke with customer service and they told me it's a known issue (it has been around for every version that runs in the M1s as far as I can tell and has not been fixed). The only workaround (NOT as solution) I was given was to have the project open in AE and then open Pr and relink. If Ae is closed, you won't be able to relink. This works when your Pr sequence has only ONE Ae project (because Ae can only open one project at at time, what a nightmare). If you have more than one Ae project per Pr sequence, you'll have to renders those out to video first and replace them in the sequence 😞 😞 😞 horrible horrible. I sweat bullets every time I have to export a video now.  Ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you same issue as you guys/gals. I though it was my computer so i changed hard drives! Going to try this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea i don't even have that folder though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines