• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Link Text from Premiere Pro to After Effects Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there everyone. I have this rather tedious issue with dynamic linking text from Premiere to AE.

I am subtitling in my Premiere Pro timeline above my footage, and I want to apply effects to this text inside of AE by using dynamic link on the Premiere Pro text (because I use a certain AE script that creates the effects I'd like to have on the text). It's easier for me to do all the text inside of the Premiere timeline you see, it's a lot-lot faster, that's for sure. 

However, when I use dynamic link on the text layers in Premiere, they are imported as precomposed layers in AE... To say the least it's driving me nuts because I cannot for life of me find a way to import them as the standard editable text layers. 

I have to copy and paste non-stop to get the actual layers out of the precomps but at least they are at the correct timestamps when I take them out... I did see a script that could've helped called un-precompose (I think) but it's outdated and isn't optimal at all from the reviews I have seen.

I'm not sure if it's a small fix or no fix atlhough any premiere/ae wizards out there that could help, I'd really appreciate you for any guidance or answers on the matter. Cheers!

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding your request correctly: I think rather than adding an AE comp to Premiere via dynamic link, your situation sounds like it is better suited by creating a Motion Graphics Template (.MOGRT) in After Effect, which can then later be applied to Premiere.

This is done using the Essential Graphics panel in After Effects. You can have pretty much any parameter (including source text) be an editable property that is a part of the MOGRT when used in Premiere. You won't be able to edit the text via Premiere's text tool, but you'll have a text field in Premiere's Essential Graphics panel that you can type into and the MOGRT will update with the inputted text.

Here's the Adobe page on it: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-motion-graphics-templates.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My concern would be if Essential Graphics would allow any variables from an AE script into a template to then use within Premiere Pro because I'd imagine it only allows built-in effects. I'll look into it anyhow and report back, thank you for the link! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to accept the script parameters I need for the text in the Essential Graphics tab. Ah well. I think it's just going to be one of those things I'll have to put up with haha. Cheers for the help anyhow dude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely do your text in AE. Why try to send the PP text over. AE is like the worlds greatest character generator. I do most of my text in AE and sometimes I send it over to PP via an import in PP and pick the AE project and the comp I want. Othertimes I do a mogurt, and then usually (not with text) but I will export out a ProRes file in AE and just drop that into PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a particular script that allows a specific effect I'd like to use conistently over time. Aligning the text over the correct parts of audio, and changing it is actually far faster in the Adobe Premiere timeline, it seems for me anyhow. If the premiere text layers would just import over as a editable text layer into AE I could quickly apply the text effect from the script and be done with them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I tried it today and it seems to work fine!

?

When you select the menu option to Replace with AE comp (comp being the keyword there, it does go into a comp which is good and what you want.)

Did you double click the text when you first put it in there? On the first comp from PP, it doesn't show as text until you double-click it. Then it's editable text from there on. When you have the second one to do (and onward) have AE open and that project loaded, that way each item will be in the same AE project, all as individual comps. But they require no extra work initially for you, since when you do the replace from PP it ends up as text immediatly editable in AE. The video is just to confirm that. 

BTW: It's a PIA getting the video to display at a decent size and why can't we have the edit button on screen instead of under '...more'. I hit the 'best answer' button by accident when going for the edit (twice actually) at least we can turn it off a gain. It'd be nice to have a 'delete' button also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, having same issue on Pr/Ae 2021. 

My workflow is to sketch out text in my edit and then copy paste all my edit into AE to begin motion graphics. The text comes in precomposed, which then requires the extra step of extracting all the text from their precomps, deleting precomps, tidying up etc before I can get down to work. 

Would be great if this was a toggle-able option, I'm sure some people enjoy the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey man, just in case you are facing this problem two years into the future, I made a script that's for sale to solve it. You can unprecompose layers with the correct in-and-out points with a simple keybind. https://youtu.be/l7KO2xdxwaU 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines