• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easy Method for "Multi-Trim" aka Selecting multiple sections of a clip to only keep certain sections

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the "Multi-Trim" tool on Corel Video Editing, and it just works by: scrolling through a video, selecting a start position, an end position after that, and repeating for each clip you want (and being able to move those positions around at any time). At the end, one presses trim to remove all the sections that were not selected.

The closest method I've been able to find is to press CTRL+K ("Add Edit") at each position of a start and end, creating multiple clips, and then coming back after the fact deleting the sections I don't want.

Is there a faster/easier way to do this where I don't have to come back and delete the clips I don't want? A way to just select start and end of the clips I want, and then let it remove those I didn't select at the end?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Haven't you only been asking about how to mark segments for removal from the Sequence?

As Premiere Pro is a 3-point NLE, you would mark an In and an Out in the Source (what you want to keep) and then do an Insert.  That's all keyboard shortcut driven as well. 

Another approach is to Subclip.

We can also use a Sequence as Source, allowing for multiple source clips to be reviewed in one Timeline and inserted into the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

No I've been asking about marking segments to be kept, and then at the end, have some automated process that deletes the rest; like how I described "multi-trim" works in Corel. 

I couldn't ever get the "Insert" option to work, but as I was looking into the Subclip option (which I think started to work if I did an extract first of what I wanted to keep and then the shortcut for the Subclip, but when I tried it again it wasn't working anymore. Not sure what I did wrong the second time, but...) I f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're describing an Extract in the Sequence.

So... press I to mark the start position of what you want to trim, play forward and then press O to mark the end position of what you want to trim after that, and then press apostrophe (') to extract that time range form the Sequence -- unless you want to leave a gap, then press semi-color (;) to do a Lift.  Be mindful of your Track Targeting at the left of each track as this determines which Clips in which Tracks are affected by this type of edit.

Athough, that's not a multi-trim.  That's just a Lift or an Extract.  We can always use shift to select the left or right edge of additional Clip Bondaries in the Timeline after seleting the left or right edge of a first clip (so the Ins or the Outs of multiple Clip Boundaries are selected at the same time) and then use option/alt left arrow or right arrow.  This also works with Ripple Edit and Roll Edit as long as there are no media limits to prevent it.  With those two, we can use a Marquee Selection to click and drag across multipe edit points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first answer is kinda close to my request, but it's really more for selecting the scenes I'd like to delete rather than those I'd like to keep. Unless each extract is getting put somewhere else I'm not understanding.

As far as the second paragraph, I was lost on a lot of what you were saying. But I know I don't want to do any sort of draging/using my mouse at all. I'd rather it all be my keyboard to scroll back and forth, and a short key to select start of clip and end of clip; and repeat for next. For this to work and not be selecting the clips I want to delete (instead selecting clips I want to keep) I think it would only work by marking the "good" clips different or having a "button" or process at the end to say I'm done and to remove the remaining "bad" clips. That's how it worked on Corel at least.

I appreciate the quick response though!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aasd24542476f165 wrote:

it's really more for selecting the scenes I'd like to delete rather than those I'd like to keep.

That's exactly what an Extract does with no need to click with the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't know of a method to select scenes to keep instead of those to remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't you only been asking about how to mark segments for removal from the Sequence?

As Premiere Pro is a 3-point NLE, you would mark an In and an Out in the Source (what you want to keep) and then do an Insert.  That's all keyboard shortcut driven as well. 

Another approach is to Subclip.

We can also use a Sequence as Source, allowing for multiple source clips to be reviewed in one Timeline and inserted into the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No I've been asking about marking segments to be kept, and then at the end, have some automated process that deletes the rest; like how I described "multi-trim" works in Corel. 

I couldn't ever get the "Insert" option to work, but as I was looking into the Subclip option (which I think started to work if I did an extract first of what I wanted to keep and then the shortcut for the Subclip, but when I tried it again it wasn't working anymore. Not sure what I did wrong the second time, but...) I found the Subsequence option which is pretty close to what I've been asking for.

If I mark the In and Out, then Shift+U to create subsequence, it saves that clip I want to keep off to the left; and then at the very end after repeating this for the whole video, I can delete the whole video and paste back all the "subsequences".

A little more work than I'm used to, but pretty close. Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines