Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edge Artefacts on Import

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I would be very apprecative if somone can tell me what's goign on when import footage and get edge artefacts not seen in the original footage as seen below. This is showing in the source monitor and is 100% not present in the original files.

I'm already on sofware playback only etc.

Any heklp appreciated as i'm right in the middle of this shoot.

Thanks,

Simon

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 14.33.29.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have to do with your media color space.

Worth a try: Context-click a problem clip in the bin and choose Modify>Interpret Footage. Check the color management section to see if all is well. If you are using bog-standard HD footage, you may need to override the color space to rec 709.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately can't seem to fix it thast way.

It's very strange, i imported into Resolve and it's all perfect. Perhaps time to switch ?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported the file and it seems fine. So the original file is fine, it has visible artefacts when imported into premiere but once exported out seems fine once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad the export went well!

What format and codec is your source footage, and what are your sequence and export settings? 

My thinking is that maybe Pr misinterpreted your footage on import, but that bad interpretation was canceled out by your sequence or export settings or both. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Source footage is 1080HD Pro Ress 422 HQ 10bit XAVCi.

Sequence is custom ProRes422 24p.

On export i usually do what looks best and so it varies. 

Not too sure about the interpretatioon from Pr as this is showing up in both the source monitor and on the sequence. It feels like Pr is not viewing/displaying it properly ?

Problem being i don't know what is not displaying correctly or what is incorrect until export. And perhaps more importantly Pr should be able to show the footage properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Pr should be able to show the footage properly.

That said, we should investigate why it's not.

So that we're all on the same page, please post screenshots of:

• The Clip>Modify>Interpret Footage dialog for one of your XAVC-I clips
  • Your sequence settings

There may be clue(s) there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what res is the Program monitor set to, and is it in High Quality playback?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

It's on Full and thr fault is also visible when the video is paused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Is this what you need ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to enable max bit depth in sequence setting and on export. prores 422 has a 'feature'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Fault is there in the source monitor and also with/without max bit depth enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the info I asked for, but it is not what I expected to see.

What version of Pr are you using, please? And on what platform?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Cs6 and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you said "set on full". i'm guessing you mean resolution or playback settings?  also, there's a separate setting for paused playback under high quality setting.

does the issue appear when you're playing back or just when you're paused?

also i'm curious if you export into a cineform and re-import, if it still appears. at least that would narrow down if its a codec issue or something else.

maybe a pre-multipled problem in the alpha channel?

what happens when you change the video preview codec type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It appears both paused and in playback.

I don't think it's a codec issue as the files are recorded straight into ProRes 422HQ  on a Video Devices recorder and so are as unadultarated as can be. Also they look fine in Resolve etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd still try cineform. premiere may not like them (even though resolve does..)

what happens when you change the video preview codec type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sadsharp wrote:

Hi,

Cs6 and Mac.

10-bit XAVC footage would have been bleeding edge for CS6; I'm pleasantly surprised it handles it at all!
My recommendation is to try your footage in the new version of Pr. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not 10 bit XAVC, it's Pro Res 422HQ recordedd straight into a recorder. The footage works on final cut pro 7 (pre CS6) and Resolve no problem at all. The fact that CS6 is sopposedly 'doing well' to mess up a pro res file is a bit Adobe centric if you don't me saying. Parasite (Oscar winner) was cut on final cut 7 with much heavier codecs than what i'm using and they had no issues. I know dozens of award winning filmmakers cutting on FCP7.

I guess it's time to follow the herd and get in bed with Resolve 18. No way on earth i'm paying subscription fee's to Adobe when Resolve 18 is basically taken Premiere to school.

I find the notion that CS6 cannot playback a pure a pro res file just a little bit off the edge of reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sadsharp wrote:

Source footage is 1080HD Pro Ress 422 HQ 10bit XAVCi.

It's not 10 bit XAVC, it's Pro Res 422HQ recordedd straight into a recorder.

Apparently I misunderstood. And you are correct that CS6 should be able to play back pure ProRes files on a Mac. But that's not the assumption I was working under. Apologies if I got it wrong. 

And it's highly likely that a recent version of Resolve may perform better than an old CS6 version of Pr. Within the limits of your time and budget, you should at least try the latest version of Pr before you abandon it completely. If you've already done that or just don't want to, then I hope Resolve or FCPX or something else does the job for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Si basically back to square one. I have a prores material that in the past has worked in an NLE designed for it that can't be played back or viewed properly without displaying artefacts that the NLE itself causes.

And no one can figure out the reason why ?

People have been playing ProRes in Adobe products for decades but alas this issues seems to have escaped the community.

Leanardo, where are you ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just these files that show the problem? Or does *all* of your media do it?

If this just started, and it seems from what you've said that it has only recently begun, then changes to your system or changes to your typical source footage are to blame. CS6 hasn't been touched in almost a decade and is well past EOL. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rently changed my Pro Res recording interpetation from Psf to interpet Psf  as P . Perhaps i should just leave it as Psf andd see what happens ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the progonal footage os free from this aretfact and the output footage also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Original"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines