• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a film with audio recorded at 44khz, 48khz and 96khz

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a film for someone and found they recorded the audio with 3 seperate external sources in 44khz, 48khz, and 96khz - some stereo and some mono. I'm wondering if I should resample all the raw files to 44khz? will the export sound be noticeably different if I don't?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. I've had different editors and audio people tell me differently. From "I always use what I'm given and it almost always works fine" to 'I always resample to X" ... with that X being 44.1 for typical studio audio people to 48 for typical film type people.

The stereo/mono thing can be a pain for sure.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your opinion, does it seem to affect the final export in any way different then the way it sounds, or appears in the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best place to ask that? The Audition forum, the sound knowledge there is a lot higher.

Although maybe I could ping @SteveG_AudioMasters_ and get him to pop in over here ... 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a rule of thumb, it is always best to have video audio (or audio for video) at 48kHz, not 44.1kHz. In my mind, YouTube simply should not allow 44.1k audio at all, as all international standards for audio in video are at 48kHz. The sole exception is on Blu-ray which does properly support 96k audio. DVD-Video allows 96k audio, but in general - and especially with motion video - this is overkill as unless the player is properly set to use 96k it will inevitably get downsampled on the fly which can cause artefacts to be introduced. You can easily run out of both space & bitrate too if using 96k for DVD, as the maximum bitrate for any stream in DVD is 10.08mbps, and for video & audio combined it is 9.8Mbps (or 9800 kbps) and 96k stereo uses almost 5000 of this, leaving very little for your video.

The 44.1k family (which includes 88.2 & 176.4k sample rates) is for CD, DVD-Audio & SACD only.

Upsampling 44.1 to 48 is painless as you are only padding with zeroes, but going down from 96 to 48 can be a little more problematic as there are unfortunately too many SRC (Sample Rate Converters) that simply lose every other sample and thus lose quality too. I highly recommend Voxengo's R8Brain (which is freeware) or their more professional R8Brain Pro.

Dropping from 48 to 44.1 requires whole number conversion, which most converters simply do not do and doing this should always be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for that very informative answer!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's the answer I needed. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Neil. I failed to mention I edit on a mac. I noticed R8Brain is a windows based program. I've been referred to Izotope RX 9 but am looking for something a little more affordable then 200 US - (which would be 250+ Canadian). In your experience have you used any software you trust that is compatible with Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines