• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing captions doesn't always update

Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long interview sequence with captions. 

I have then put this sequence into another sequence (i.e. it is nested) so I can edit it and the captions will stay synced to the video easily - I find that when working without nesting it's quite hard to keep track of the captions.

I then step into the nest with a double click when I want to edit any captions. I edit them in the Program monitor as I prefer that to doing it in the Text>Captions panel. I am finding that sometimes they update and sometimes they don't. When they don't, they do change in the Captions panel, but the change doesn't show in the Program monitor - until I restart Premiere.

So the workaround is to do lots of changes and every now and again restart Premiere, but it's not ideal.

I have this behavious on 15.2 and 15.4

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nick Lear ,

Here's what I found on the uservoice page for Premiere Pro. Link: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33840184-captions?page=7&pe...

RESOLVED  ·  mj_0-1626946911556.jpeg

ADMINFrancis Crossman (Sr. Product Manager, Adobe DVA) responded  · 

We have completely redesigned the captioning workflow in Premiere Pro version 15.0. You will see this feature as well as many other dramatic workflow improvements. Please update to the latest version.

Learn all about the new captions workflow here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.htm...

Let us know if the workflow suggestions help please

Be safe

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is out of date - it doesn't relate here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am finding that sometimes they update and sometimes they don't. When they don't, they do change in the Captions panel, but the change doesn't show in the Program monitor - until I restart Premiere.

This sounds similar to a problem that was reported often in the pre-PR 2021 captions. I found only one cause that could be recreated consistently: duplicating a caption stream in PR. But you can't duplicate streams in PR 2021, so that is no help.

I see quite a few reports of slowness (some extreme), but this is the first that reports this failure to update. How "long" is long - over one hour?

I also wonder about the sequence being nested, but the problem occurs within the sequence containing the captions, correct? Do you see this problem if the caption sequence is not nested?

As in PR2020 and earlier, captions are coded and saved in the project file. I suspected that some of the pre-2021 updating issues were due to the use of preview files - but I could never pin down when PR would use such a cached file for caption display. 

There have been other issues where the Program Monitor and Text Panel showed different behaviors. I would file a bug report.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Post a link to it here so we can upvote.

I am pretty sure there are feature request(s) regarding associating captions to a clip rather than a sequence. But I cannot find any of them at the moment. There should be a way to get a clean caption track from edited clips/sequences that contain captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I also wonder about the sequence being nested, but the problem occurs within the sequence containing the captions, correct? Do you see this problem if the caption sequence is not nested?"

I'm only seeing the issue when I step into the nest - not when working with a normal timeline with captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines