• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing project: different clips, same names

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently editing a project. While filming, I used two different memory cards, so some clips of each wound up with the same name and number. I didn't change them and imported them to my timeline. So far so good, but when I started creating proxies the problems started; with the proxies toggled the sequence is exactly how I want it to be, when I untoggle them, some of the clips either become longer or are switched to the other same-name clips.

My question is, will the proxies be ignored during export, and if not, how do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export always used the original footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot with a camera that also starts naming files (unless specifically changed beforehand, which I don't do) with new media, same as yours. I use a thing called RENAMER (was free) for win 10. It easily changes file names in a batch.

I put all files into a temp directory. open renamer. APPEND something like 'day2-', 'SC2-', 'card2'-' or whatever. Then I move to the directory they will live in. The rest of the name stays the same (so I can match with sound easily with unjammed slates).  The numerical sequence of original names helps me match with takes.

Anyway, there are lots of free programs like that out there, and are free.

Might be worth looking into for future ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how do you use the originals and the renamed files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Always copy the full media card to an internal Media drive for editing.

2. Always put each card into a unique folder.  Here's an example I might use.

Smith Wedding

Card 1

Card 2

Etc.

3. Never move, delete or rename any of the files from the media card.

4. Always use the Media Browser in PP for import duties.

5. Always import to bins matching your hard drive organization.  For example:

Audio

Graphics

Media

Card 1

Card 2

Sequences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're assuming, throughout a workflow, that bins and OS connections to specific "folders" and so on, will be recognized and never end up in the same basic filename conundrum...  where filenames are the exact SAME but you are safe cause you will never have to deal with a workflow that doesn't recognize the folders or bins.

A basic workflow in post is usually to rename and organize, and it's not kid stuff.

I do the same thing, however.

On my laptop I am putting stuff I'm shooting into different folders (same filenames).. and rely on the OS and the program I'm using to edit to keep track of stuff correctly. No proxies, nothing but same silly laptop to do simple HD stuff.

Luckily we can give the poster some various options, which is why I think this forum is so cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers but I'm honestly still not enlightened on the problem. I still don't get why deactivating proxies would change the handles of a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might work: unlink proxies files from the clips that give issues. This forces the timeline to use the original when proxies is turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines