Hope everyones staying safe and healthy,
I am a college student who has taken over a project for class from a classmate who dropped. The footage has been graded in Resolve and my classmates and I are ready to export to protools but we can't, the previous editor merged all the clips which, I have now learned, cannont be exported to AAF. I need to figure out what are the appropriate steps to restore the audio for export to aaf even if that means starting from scratch. Is there a how to or can someone help me navigate the best workflow for this?
are you asking how to deal with this in resolve or in premiere? Are you just dealing with the audio in premiere?
Sorry, we are trying to export the audio from premiere to AAF, but can’t because of the merged clip error.
I have a feeling there's a better way, but if you select the audio clip in the timeline that's part of the merged clip and control click and choose reveal in finder, it should point to the original file and you should be able to manually replace the merged audio with the original audio using the timecode displayed for that track in the program monitor. Make sense? Let me play around with this and see if I can come up with something better.
try exporting an omf with embedded audio which should import into protools. If your film is short enough you may be able to embed the audio (as there's a file size limitation for omf files but if not, you can link to external audio. No promises but worth a shot.
Tried this but I got the 2 GB file limit size issue. So it doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me unless I separate the audio, and I have been specifically told the audio must be embedded. Here’s what I wound up doing, we exported and XML of the sequence to a folder. The sequence had merged clips in it. Imported the sequence into DaVinci resolve, which give me a clean version without merged clips. Then exported the AAF from Resolve. This seems to be the shortest and quickest workaround until adobe fixes its issue with being able to unmerge clips. I appreciate the help, we tried a bunch of things but it seems like this is the quickest and simplest fix.
and please let us know if this worked. My ego can always use the stroke and you might help others with the same issue.
well I'd look askance at your audio guy. shouldn't be a problem not having the audio embedded. However, back in the day, you'd just divide your edit in to "reels" which would allow you keep within the file size limit for each reel. But glad you sorted it out. Resolve is a useful way station for many things. I had a client who'd started editing in fcpX. she was able to export an xml which would not import to premiere but would import to resolve where we were able to export an xml that would open in premiere.
Solved this same problem today, you can send your sequence to Adobe Audition which will create new audio files with handles based on your edit, then export an OMF out of Audition. It's not quite as good as an AAF but will still work for your sound mixer.
Nice to know that worked as a workaround. Thanks for posting the update.
Not sure if this applies to your particular scenario, but I had a similar problem.
If you unlink all of the audio from the video, and then put the audio into a seperate sequence without the video. You should have no problem exporting.
It worked for me 🙂
This totally worked for me - thank you!