Error retrieving frame **** at time **

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to footage taken at a recent event that I shot with one camera, I imported it into premiere pro cc 2019 and then exported it only to get this error message every few seconds.

"Error retrieving frame **** at time **:**:**:** from the file"

The footage was shot on a C300 at 24 fps, in full HD, the sequence is 24 fps 1920x1080 which is a match./

it's only when I try to export it out that I start getting the error.

Please help.

Thanks

H&M

included is a screen capture (hope it helps)

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 08.12.07.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019
Moderator Note: There are two potential answers to an "Error Retrieving Frame" error.  Issue 1: Error Retrieving Frame **** at time **. (Usually occurs with .mxf files) Answer: "Move the footage to a dedicated, internal Media drive." Issue 2: Error Retrieving Frame (Usually occurs with underpowered computer systems and H.264 variable frame rate files). Answer: Do one of the following Choose Project Settings > General and select "Software Only." Create a proxy for the file. Trans...

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019
Thanks, Jim, I already have a dedicated media disk and a back up for that too, but you are right its best not to mix anything else with it.

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook Pro M1 here, 16GB, updated OS (12.3.1), updated Premiere (22.3.1) and the issue is still here.
Here's my flow:
- I worked with proxies to cut, add effects etc. for a 5min video clip - external SSD drive connected
- once done, I connected external HD + SD (over 2TB of 4K), opened the file and replaced proxies with "proper" 4K files
Premiere started flooding me with error messages. I tried to move back - and re-create proxies, so they would be used only for export, but I can't even do proxies anymore as it keeps showing alerts. 
I'm stuck, can't find a workaround since M1 doesn't even give the option to change settings to "Software only", switching folder idea doesn't work either. Any help guys? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue. Literally nothing that worked for others has worked for me. And it's not an MXF file, it's an MOV, a 10bit 4k MOV from the GH5. I've tried different proxy codecs, moved the file around from external drive to internal back to external, I've tried with and without GPU rendering, restarted my computer, updated everything, deleted the cache files in Premiere. I'm not using any FX or filters, no other file types on the lineline, just the clip. Once media encoder hits the 1:46:08 mark, it fails. Every single time. The source file is fine, no corruption to the image at any point in the file. Nothing odd happens at that point in the file. It plays back fine. I have NO IDEA why it keeps failing to create a proxy. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be doing this already but have you tried just pulling the source
clip into media encoder directly and converting it to Prores? (Not using
the built in proxy rendering). This is what I've had to do when working
with problem mxf files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Media,

I'd considered that, but thought there'd still be a high chance of failure since it would still be compressing it to prores and would have to go through the same error spot, even though it's not exactly the same codec.

I just fixed it in a different way. What I've done is opened it in quicktime, go to one frame before the 1:46:08 mark, split the clip and saved out the first part. I then moved to a few frames after the error, split there and saved the 2nd part. Now I've loaded both clips in Premiere, dropped them in the timeline exactly where they occurred in the original clip and created proxies for them. And that worked. Unfortunately I'll loose a few frames but since this is an hour long clip that will be in a documentary containing segments from hundreds of other long clips, I can get by without a few frames.

So yeah there must have been some real error at that point in the clip, but I didn't see it. Oh well. Good to know there's a way to split up a video file and be able to save it in its original format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here with Macbook Pro M1, 8GB, OS 12.3.1, Premiere version 22.4.0.
Using MTS files and I've got around 100 videos that I need to put together.
All source videos are on an external SSD drive. 
Seems that there's issue with all of them, Premiere changes the first frame of every clip into a black frame. I've done the same process with previous versions of Premiere, but never had any problems. Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines