• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Everytime I press playback in Premiere, I get around 10fps, and my cpu is on 100% usage.

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specs:

GTX 1080ti

32Gbs 2600Mhz G.skill 

2tb SSHD (x2)

256Gb nvme SSD

The only issue is that in order to get 10 fps, I need to drop the quality to 1/8 for playback.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Are your footage and projects on one of the SSHDs? If so, there's your bottleneck: SSHDs are essentially plain, slow HDDs with a very small SSD as a cache drive for the HDD contents. If what you're working on is too large to fit in the tiny SSD portion of the drive, then only the very slow, often 5400 RPM, HDD is used. And no 5400 RPM HDD can even hit 175 MB/s sequentially, let alone the 500 MB/s that's typical of true SATA SSDs, let alone the 1.5 GB/s that even el-cheapo m.2 PCI-E SSDs can achi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your footage and projects on one of the SSHDs? If so, there's your bottleneck: SSHDs are essentially plain, slow HDDs with a very small SSD as a cache drive for the HDD contents. If what you're working on is too large to fit in the tiny SSD portion of the drive, then only the very slow, often 5400 RPM, HDD is used. And no 5400 RPM HDD can even hit 175 MB/s sequentially, let alone the 500 MB/s that's typical of true SATA SSDs, let alone the 1.5 GB/s that even el-cheapo m.2 PCI-E SSDs can achieve.

And why would you buy an SSHD for video editing to begin with? You see, SSHDs are a half-baked compromise drive product to begin with. They are intended for very small, difficult-to-upgrade small devices such as laptops and small-form-factor systems that have only a single internal disk connection. But for the purpose of video editing, SSHDs actually offer the worst of both worlds: Far too small of a high-speed capability (frequently, less than 32 GB) to be of much use, combined with all of the failings of slow mechanically spinning HDDs.

In other words, you had wasted your money on those SSHDs. For the purposes of Premiere Pro, SSHDs are no better than ordinary HDDs in terms of performance. And since the prices of 2.5" SATA SSDs have come down (although the COVID-19 pandemic has driven prices upwards some), you might be able to get yourself a single 2 TB SSD for about what you had paid for those two SSHDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. This pc is mainly used for gaming so I assumed that it would work as well with video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been suffering this same issue now for over 5 months we built 3 editing computers to attempt to find a solution and yet the issues continue I know this is not what you want to hear, BUT after 10 years of using adobe I am now downloading DaVinci Resolve which has far greater balance of CPU / GPU. Forget all the nonsense about updating drivers or changing hardware because its pointless.

Paying a subscription for broken software at this point, full of bugs, crashes, random errors and BSOD. sorry for the rant but its the truth. maybe lower resolution video works best but I edit 4k Videos and its a nightmare even with top end PC's.

To really answer your question, the truth is that adobe has a terrible balance between GPU and CPU usage so I'm trying to save you from the same rabbit hole I wasted time on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines