• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Export looks good in H264 but dark in ProRes / DNXHR

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a timeline in Rec 709.

When I export a master to ProRes4444XQ and DNXHR 444 and open the file in VLC its way darker than in the editor. But, if I export to H264 colors in VLC are the same. 

Why is that? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

As discussed off-forum, the problem was within VLC. The user changed settings there, and all is now showing correctly. Though I don't know what settings they changed.

A likely issue is having the player set to handle Rec.709 media as "full", which is incorrect. Rec.709 media is 'full' by image dynamic range, but encoded in 'limited' range for historic reasons. It is then displayed, correctly, as full range values on a properly set system.

"Regular" Rec.709 is technically encoded as Y-Cb/Cr.

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you changed the monitor settings so your monitor runs "full" range for Rec.709?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I don't even have that option on my monitor. It's an Acer Nitro VG280K. IPS. 38480x2160. 4ms. 300nit. HDR10. 10bit (8bits + FRC) and I can't seem to find an option regarding Rec.709. Its on "HDR" mode. 

I'm so confused on why the H264 looks exactly the same as in the NLE, but ProRes and DNXR don't. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As discussed off-forum, the problem was within VLC. The user changed settings there, and all is now showing correctly. Though I don't know what settings they changed.

A likely issue is having the player set to handle Rec.709 media as "full", which is incorrect. Rec.709 media is 'full' by image dynamic range, but encoded in 'limited' range for historic reasons. It is then displayed, correctly, as full range values on a properly set system.

"Regular" Rec.709 is technically encoded as Y-Cb/Cr. The 4:4:4:4 media, like the ProRes4444HQ and DNxHR/444 are (technically" encoded as RGB ... and are supposed to be encoded as 'full' range. And will be shown as such by correctly set systems.

But if somewhere between the OS, GPU, or player settings, somehow Rec.709 got set to 'full', then normal Rec.709 is shown as full ... and the 4444/RGB codecs are displayed with crushed blacks and clipped whites.

That may have been an issue here.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines