Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export MP4 movie from Premiere and won't play in Iphone

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is this problem now. It never happened before. So, I export a .mp4 movie and it doesn't play in my or my friends Iphone. It play in Samsung phones. Weird, isn't? My export setup is:

Format: H.264

Preset: Match Source- Medium Bitrate

I am exporting a vertical video to Instagram width:1080 height:1920

I have plenty space in my Iphone. I have update my Premiere a few days ago. I ma using now the last version 13.03 (build 9). What am I doing wrong? Or is there a bug in this version??

My workflow to be able to upload a video in the I phone is that:

Export with that setup I describe above and then import it to MPEG Streamclip and set my export to MPG4. Doing that I am able to upload my videos to any Iphone.

Anybody ever have this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Fernando Alves

Fernando Alves
Editor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Hello to anyone having this issue, where a Premiere Pro exported .mp4 video file will not save to your iPhone, and particularly when saving from DropBox. I have root-caused 2 contributing factors: 1. Exporting using 'hardware' and not 'software' under the 'performance' setting can cause the problem. 2. I found a 6k aspect ratio also caused the issue - when I reduced the export aspect ratio to 4k or below, the file saved to the iPhone as expected. I hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Did it many times before, printed an mp4 from premier to my hard drive, airdropped it to my iphone, uploaded to instagram. No problem. Suddenly, I can't airdrop it anymore. The iPhone won't accept it. It will save to my iCloud drive but it won't play from there. Dropbox too. And there's no way to get it to instagram. Not even from Dropbox. It won't load. Is this because of the latest iphone update? I'm using a 7 btw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue. This never used to be a problem until the last few months. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem here.

Anyone got a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to know more about why these particular presets fixed the issue, because I am currently having this same issue except with After Effects (and exporting from After Effects using Media Encoder). I just posted more details in another forum, but I'll share here just in case someone finds them helpful in some way (?):

1) I am exporting a composition from After Effects using Adobe Media Encoder. I am exporting it as an H.264 / mp4.

2) The exported video file plays fine on my Macbook. 

3) I try to Airdrop the file to my iPhone, and I receive the error message "Failed to save item. Save to iCloud Drive instead?". However, saving the file to iCould Drive doesn't fix the problem, either. 

4) I've tried to avoid Airdrop by saving the exported file to a shared file service such as my Dropbox. However, when I try to download the file from my Dropbox to my phone, I receive the same error message. 

I'm starting to think that either Adobe or Apple has recently introduced an update that is causing this conflict. I have not changed anything about my workflow. This same process of exporting and Airdropping video to my iPhone has worked perfectly for the past 2 years. 

Here is a weird (not really practical) workaround I found after further experimenting:

After exporting a compostion from After Effects, I opened it on my Macbook using Quicktime. In Quicktime, I clicked Export As > 1080p, and in the following 'Save as' screen, there was a box that was pre-checked labeled "Use HEVC". I *unchecked* this box, and after exporting the file from Quicktime in this manner, I was able to transfer it successfully to my iPhone and play it. 

Note that I attempted this same process in Quicktime, but selected '4k' instead of '1080p', and it did *not* play on iPhone.

So perhaps the problem has to do with whatever HEVC is? I hope this is fixed soon. I don't want to have to run files through several different exports just to make them play on iPhone lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing this but the HVEC box wasnt even checked, thus im still stuck with the same problem. Also I am hesitant to download that guys presets because i work with analog super 8 film and so the sizing of my video frames are unique and have to be a custom size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if anyone is still having this issue; however I was having issues when exporting (as everyone mentioned above) and exporting to my iPhone. I kept getting the error message "Failed to save item. Save to iCloud Drive instead." The recommended trick above to export from Quicktime worked, however it diminished the video quality a bit (for me at least).

I was able to find a fix that may work for others; I changed my export settings to (HEVC H.256) and was able to export my video to my iPhone without hindering the quality. Hope this helps someone out there. Surprised Adobe hasn't done anything to fix this issue yet -- there are numerous threads on this same issue for over a year...

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.41.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing! I will try this on my next project ASAP. Do you happen to know if HEVC H.256 causes any conflicts elsewhere? I am still learning about file types and what works best on which devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Saved me a lot of time and frustration. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, THANK YOU! 

The HEVC(H.265) worked for me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!  after trying so many things this worked for me!! Thank you for sharing 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HVEC worked for me!! Same problem, opening the video on PC but not in Iphone, mp4. 1080x1920

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the HVEC work around and it worked up until today when i started getting the cannot save to file error again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I posted my solution on this thread. Try it out and tell me if it works please! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed and howcome it only happens to us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped a lot. Big thanks! Worked in an instant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and this is still the best resolution to the issue of saving a premiere pro video into the Photos app. Can someone please tag this as the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw his video and opted for another one.. thanks for this @challen_brown !  Will try now!!

Julia 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue here. After doing some tests, this SOLVED my problem:

Sequence Settings > Video 'tab' > Fields: select 'No Fields (Progressive Scan)'

Before making this change, my 'Fields' option was selected as 'Upper Field First'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Will try ASAP. Do you happen to know whether changing this setting will have any other effects on your video? (I'm not 100% certain what this setting is for in the first place, ha) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have no clue what this setting is about! But I noticed some of my projects (which were exporting just fine) were set as such...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. After tried many ways, your tips were very helpfull. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines