Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export stuck in Premiere Pro and Media Encoder while working with ProRes Raw

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community, 

I know this topic of stuck and freeze export has been discussed already very frequently and hence I want to give some aspects and considerations to ProRes Raw footage export. 

I am experiencing freezed and stuck export both in Premiere Pro and Media encoder. I do have tried various troubleshooting exercises but with no success. The freeze happens randomly with no particular frame or footage. I already tried to render everything in premiere first, maximized RAM, admin rights for the software itself, etc. 

I am thinking that this might be connected with the footage, as the raw files a several GB big and looking for some ideas what else I can try. 

Here are my specs. 

Computer: AMD Threatripper 3060 on a Zenith Extreme II MB with 128 GB; Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI OC 12 G Graphic Card

Footage: mostly ProRes Raw files in 5120 x 2696 resolution which are downsampled to 4k 3840x 2160. The final footage contains color corrections and some have warp stabilizer on it. Also some footage are combined into a splitscreen format. 

if I export short versions of the composition (1-3min) it seems okay but the total video of 7min is always too much for premiere.

I think the computer system is sufficient but noted that GPU can run quite hot during the export. I was thinking that maybe heatspikes could cause troubles as well. All system components are air cooled although I am switching soon to a water cooled system. 

Thanks in advance  

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Export , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running both Warp and color AND doing resizing .... I'd do a render & replace after setting any Warp on clips to say ProRes422 at the expected delivery size. THEN do color/splitscreen work.

Exporting post-Warp from "new" media is incredibly less resource demanding.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil for the quick response. I tried to render everything in Premiere first using ProRes 422 and later in the export I selceted "use preview and proxy" wouldn't that be the same effect? although I have to admit that I did not replace the file in premiere pro but just rendered it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Rendering" the file just creates previews at whatever format/codec/resolution the Preview codec is set for in the sequence settings.

It does not bake in the effects. So it still has to be completely rendered as part of the export process.

Which is why I suggested Render & Replace which in this case, when done after applying Warp, will create a new clip of media with the Warp applied. Done. Never to be re-rendered.

And now the workload for processing other steps is greatly lessened.

There are times when clips have say Warp, retiming/resizing, and color ... and oh, yea, need a little video denoising. Oh ... my. That's a load.

So it's then a choice ... which do you do first before R&R ... Warp, or DeNoising? Probably Warp. Then do the resizing/retimming and maybe color. Maybe then R&R again ... then do the DeNoise with Neat as part of export. Or ... some do the Neat first ... it may or may not make a difference.

And if you use a good format/codec choice for the R&R, you should be able to go several generations without visual difficulty. They certainly do this on a LOT of clips in big-screen movies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got that Neil. Helpful comment and will try this workflow approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorting out this sort of stuff is the essence of getting complex work done. I work with pro colorists daily, and they have a TON of complex things at times to do.

Process order is crucial. When to do what, when to bake in some effect and make a replacement media clip ... even when to use what variants of a tool to get a similar effect that will either "play better" with something else in the sequence or will take less processor.

Vfx people have similar issues.

And then the editor gets to add it ALL together and do something further with it ... right ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines