• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to MOV errors with M1 chip computer (glitching, corrupt files)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want an MOV video file with ProRes 4444 codec for best retained quality for re-editing purposes. MP4 is too compressed. Every time I go to export from my timeline in Premiere, everything seems normal but when the export is finished, the video is ruined with the audio playing through but the image lagging, stopping, or glitching out. I've tried playing from different platforms including: YouTube, Quicktime, Preview, VLC, etc. and they all have their own issues playing the MOV files. Seems as though Premiere is exporting corrupt files when MOV is requested. This doesn't happen with H.264 but I need Apple ProRes MOV.

Please help. Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prores 4444 exports will create very large files ... is it possible that once you export - the hard drive you are playing from can't keep up with the Prores 4444 datarate?

I'd also question if you really need to export to Prores 4444. It does have expanded color space and the ability to carry an alpha channel - but do you need these things?

Prores (standard) and Prores HQ use 422 color space which is usually fine. Remember most cameras are shooting in 422 color space. I (and the TV Network I work at) use Prores HQ (+ DNx and AVC-Intra) for mastering programs. I only use Prores 4444 when rendering graphics that need an alpha channel.

As a guide Prores 4444 will generate files at (depending on the frame size and frame rate) about 275Mbits whereas Prores HQ only around 185Mbits. You can even drop to Prores (standard) - which is still very good - and the datarate is even lower at around 122Mbits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I want 4444 is to keep the video as storage for potential re-edit or demo reel (so I'm not worried about extraneous file size). Ah, you are probably right with increased datarate. But I've tried exporting only 4 sec segments and I get the ruined video file problem still. Maybe the length doesn't matter? I will try exporting from an external drive rather than the network server. And I will try 422 as well since, yes, my camera only does 422 anyway. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue when trying to export MP4 H.264 files on a separate iMac system. The last ~6 seconds freeze and drops audio. I believe I've narrowed down the problem. I am using a Synology NAS both at work and at home. I've noticed the issues when exporting footage from and going to my Synology media servers. Exporting projects referencing video files from my desktop seems to work fine.

Another thing, I was reading a Synology forum and it seems that exporting VBR 2 pass solves the MP4 file issue as well. But this is only for my one iMac and not my M1 laptop trying to export MOV files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're a life saver, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've never seen anything like this. I would like to reproduce it. Perhaps the drive playing back the file is not fast enough. 4444 is very processor intensive. Personally, I use the heck out of ProRes LT. Best codec/bang for the buck if you don't need alpha. Need more info to reproduce. Version of Premiere, version of OS, kind of computer, etc.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines