Export video with multi-language subtitles

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to export a video with multi-language subtitles so that the viewer can select the subtitle language of their choice.

The audio is in English. I created subtitles in English, French, Spanish, Portugese and Italian on Premiere Pro.

I haven't found how to export so that the viewer can choose the subtitle track of their choice (like what you can do on Youtube). For now, when viewing the video on Quicktime > View > Subtitles... there is no language option.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @DelphineM 

I guess my first question would be what are your target formats: both for the video deliverable as well as your captions tracks. Where is your video ultimately going and how will it being viewed? Some video containers and formats support embedding caption streams into the output file directly, while others do not and require you to create sidecar files instead. Your answers to that will help me shape a better answer.

In general though, if your goal is to have multiple language caption streams for your video, you'll either need to embed the streams into your video export (with a codec that supports it) OR create multiple sidecar files (one for each language) that can be uploaded to sites or playback apps that use them.

I'm assuming QuickTime is looking at embedded captions streams in the menu you mentioned.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines