• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting DVD Footage for Computer/Web: What Aspect Ratio & Resolution?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have DVDs (4:3) of home movies that I want to convert to files that properly display on a family member's computer, phone, and TV. I copied the .VOB files to a hard drive, merged them together as MPEG-2 files (720x480, NTSC (0.9)), then imported them into a Premiere Pro timeline to perform cuts and add transitions.

What aspect ratio and resolution settings should I use during export for viewing on the devices mentioned? I assume the PAR needs to be square. I've tried export tests using H.264 at 640x480 (4:3), 720x480 (3:2), and 1280x720 (16:9), but I don't know which is correct.
Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Square-pixel file at 720x534.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ann. That keeps it at 4:3 with square pixels. Why do some still recommend 640x480? Also, what is the difference between scaling a clip directly on the timeline, and scaling in the export window? I scaled a clip up 104% to clean up the distortions on the edges and it looks fine. Should I be scaling in the export window instead? Additionally, should I crop the source to 4:3 in the export window, yielding a resolution of 705x480?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines