Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Just Simply Is Not Working

Explorer ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to export my videos to really no great outcome. I use OBS to record in .mkv format, which is then remuxed into .mp4 (essentially a file converter), then that all gets written on a M.2 NVMe SSD. So, I use Media Browser to drag that .mp4 once I'm done recording and open up Premiere Pro after I have deleted the .mkv leftover. I finish editing after who knows how many hours, want to export it on the same drive I recorded on, but in a different folder entirely, and then well... wait a minute. Error finding X frames at X time? Wait, why has Premiere stopped updating the percentage of when it will be done? Is it frozen? Well, I guess I'll just cancel. Maybe the file was poorly remuxed? I open the file, and oh no! I can't even play the .mp4! What a waste of recording time! Perhaps restarting my computer will potentially fix it? Like magic, it's working just fine. Let me try to export again. Same problems.

What is going on and how can I fix this? I don't have any other drive to record/render/edit on since I thought 2-3 other NVMe's were also ruined. So, what is the best possible way to fix this? Does Premiere not like NVMe?

SPECS:

RTX 2070 Super

Ryzen 3900x

64GB RAM

500GB NVMe for OS, 1TB NVMe for recording/rendering/editing

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

SOLUTION: WOOHOO! I figured out the issue that I have been having! Interestingly, this problem that seemed to be a nonissue is actually a bigger problem!

See, I had 32GB RAM previously and I wanted to get double that while also still being dual channel. However, the same problem persisted (because I thought I just didn't have enough for Premiere). It very oddly turns out that the motherboard is not providing the features it needs to support the hardware to its' full potential.

With that said, I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try your mkv in the latest beta version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is MKV in latest beta? Is that on OBS or Premiere? How do I go about doing so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use OBS daily ... first thing I'd suggest is record directly to mp4 in OBS rather than mkv and converting. OBS puts a weird statement about mp4 files not completing if there's a crash ... ignore it, no other app I've ever seen has that comment with mp4 files. Never been an issue.

And mp4 out of OBS have always worked perfectly in Premiere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always used to use .mp4, but that message lead me to be somewhat conscious of my recordings, so I thought "well, it can automatically remux in the settings, so it's 'technically' already in .mp4 once complete."

I never really had any power outages or computer randomly crashing, so it should not hurt to go back to my old (and correct) ways.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can record directly into the .TS container if you're concerned about it. It gives you the same security as MKV but it's a supported container in Premiere.

For whatever reason when you Remux with OBS it introduces Variable Framerate onto the media. I don't really know how or why, but that's what starts showing up. And Variable Framerate is like poison to editing software. You'll get all kinds of playback issues, errors, etc., and it can vary just like you're talking about. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Variable framerate = variable results.

Mixing VFX onto clips that are H264/5 and VFR, or even just H264/5 can also cause problems. Other things to try when having encoding issues would be clearing the media cache, and I always recommend using Software Encoding rather than Hardware Encoding, since it's way less error-prone, and when you have a lot of VFX going on, exporting to a ProRes master first isn't a bad idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I forgot to mention that once the recorded file can't open anymore, my entire drive becomes "unrecognizable", meaning I have to restart for it to start working again. I managed to get another drive and it suprisingly only happens on the NVMe drives. Works just fine on a normal SATA SSD. I guess Premiere hates Gen4 NVMe speeds? Very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: So unfortunately, none of the given tips have worked. It still wants to temporary "corrupt" my drive. I'm going to attach files of what the error is and what happens to my drive when exporting.

I like Premiere and it was a great switch from the sluggish Sony Vegas, but if problems like this are going to persist, I might just have to go back to Vegas (which would absolutely be saddening).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLUTION: WOOHOO! I figured out the issue that I have been having! Interestingly, this problem that seemed to be a nonissue is actually a bigger problem!

See, I had 32GB RAM previously and I wanted to get double that while also still being dual channel. However, the same problem persisted (because I thought I just didn't have enough for Premiere). It very oddly turns out that the motherboard is not providing the features it needs to support the hardware to its' full potential.

With that said, I loaded optimized defaults (ASUS Motherboard) to make everything not overclocked and back to normal, overclocked each component one by one, and walla (not really)! D.O.C.P, in other words overclocking RAM. I can't even run 3600MHz on the sticks I paid for, so I will 100% return these and get my money back.

This is great because I can get 3200MHz sticks up to 128GB! I know what you might be thinking though: "Why are you exchanging the RAM when that is not the main problem?" That's a good thought to ask and I'll explain. New CPUs are going to arrive sometime this year in the later months and it would not be reasonable to buy an entire platform of the same when that does occur. You could say that for RAM too since DDR5 is releasing, but well... you got me on that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines