• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External Harddrives disconnecting when using Premiere Pro

New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This frustrating roadblock will happen when opening a project sometimes.

The sequence in progress loads up and as it searches for media, HDDs disconnect (can be one or multiple when plugged in), then reconnect, prompting the broken media window where I have to go and relink pieces one at a time. This will happen multiple times in a row before the project can even fully load. 

Is there something about my setup that is prompting these HDD disconnects?

Thanks for any tips! 

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB

Windows 10 Pro

Version: 21H2

OS Build: 19044.1682

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more details about the external drive. Sounds like it's not fast enough or doesn't have the bandwidth required during the initial loading of all the media.

Also, how is the drive connected? SATA? USB 2.0? 3.0? Thunderbolt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 3 drives connected, one is externally powered, the other two are USB powered. All are USB 3.0 plugging into 3.2 ports, B550 Aorus Elite MOBO.

The issue has happened working with any drive, and only on my desktop. Using my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9560 model) with 2 drives plugged in (usb-powered and externally powered), I have not had the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, whatever bus is used to connect the drives, what other peripheral or software devices are using the same bus? There may be interference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a full bus for sure. I have 3x HDDs plugged in, as well as another USB hub that I use for my webcam, mic, & SD card reader.

B550 Aorus Elite MOBO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the drive externally powered or do they rely on USB supplied power?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 3 drives connected, one is externally powered, the other two are USB powered. All are USB 3.0 plugging into 3.2 ports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do they dismount from windows computer entirely or just disappear from premiere?

check your power management settings for external drives. you only get a few volts per port so maybe your externals are fighting for power. i'd do a hard drive disk speed test to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They will disconnect from Windows entirely for a couple of seconds then reconnect.

I have USB Select Suspend setting Disabled in my power settings.

Competing for power makes sense. My PSU is an EVGA Supernova 850 GT.

Another power draw could be my GPU, Nvidia RTX 3070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines