• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Don't run SPOTIFY or CHROME while editing!

Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running apps like Spotify and browsers like Chrome rob your GPU of its power. I advise you to avoid running them while editing, particularly if you are having performance problems. 

I advise users to get an iPad or use their phone hooked up to some speakers to listen to music if you must.....Run only Premiere Pro when editing.

In the same respect, reboot the computer before editing, and at midday to refresh RAM. Just a reminder that needs to be said once in awhile since so many editors are listening to music while editing.

So now you know: Spotify hurts Premiere Pro performance, as does Chrome and other GPU hungry browsers. So, I'm not telling you to avoid music during some editing tasks, or lose the ability to browse the web during your editing sessions, I'm just suggesting to use an alternate device if you want the max performance from your computer while editing with Premiere Pro.

A reminder to the editing community that you must not think of Premiere Pro as "just another app," but as an editing system which requires the full capacity of your hardware working in concert with it for best possible performance. That said, running other apps while you are running Premiere Pro will hurt preview rendering, playback, UI snappiness, color grading performance, GPU real time effects performance, exporting performance and your overall user experience.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different programs may interfere with each other. So it's better to not run Spotify or other apps when editing. Or you can firstly use AudFree Spotify Converter to download Spotify tracks from the app directly and then use a media player to play it, which doesn't interfere with the Adobe when editing. But the best way could be not to open the Spotify and other programs to avoid unexpected errors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for your kind suggestion. For me, I found an alternative way to enjoy Spotify music during my editing. That is, use TunesKit Spotify Downloader to download Spotify songs as local files and then listen to them with a music player. In this way, it will never hurt my Adobe performance, and both work well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you edit and listen to music? I simply can't. Maybe while I'm doing titles...

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Kevin on this.  can't imagine editing with music playing.  but I've almost always got a browser open without issues.  I'm not surfing while I'm editing, but if I'm rendering, absolutely...   My phone beeps at me when an email or text comes in and when I have a moment, a switch to the browser and see if it's anything important.  If you've got an underpowered machine, maybe you'll have a problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it's never a bad troubleshooting step to make sure you're not
running any other program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therein lies a major problem: Decoding streaming music always eats up precious CPU cycles that could have been used for editing and rendering.

As for browsing the Web, I knew all along that there are currently no good choices among the major-branded browsers. Every one of the current browsers (and yes, that includes the new Microsoft Edge that comes with the latest versions of Windows 10) eat up GPU cycles to some extent, while the only one that doesn't (the old Internet Explorer 11) is no longer receiving security or bug fixes due to its EOL status. (IE11 still exists in current Windows 10 installations, but in a depreciated state.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid this issue, I usually download and listen to Spotify music offline. And to do that, it is needed to use tools like DRmare Music Converter for Spotify Mac, Tunepat Spotify Music Converter, etc. to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. As I realize the Spotify hurts Premiere Pro performance, I never run the Spotify app when using PR so that to release the pressure of GPU. It is convenient to download Spotify songs by my AudKit tool, a kind of Spotify audio converter, then listen to Spotify songs without using the Spotify app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn OFF hardware accelration in Spotify app and it won't be an issue , same with chrome causing lag .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey @Sanket33541755pauv,

Good point. I have heard that it's still a best practice to avoid running other apps while editing. Just passing that along as something that was taught to me so many years ago. Thanks for your input!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines