• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Why does audio or video not go to the track where I drop it?

Jul 17, 2011 Jul 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source PatchingSource PatchingIssue
Some users have trouble dragging an audio-video clip into the Timeline. For example, when the clip is dragged in to the Timeline, only the video or audio portion of the clip appears. Very frustrating, but there's a simple fix. It's called Source Patching.

Solution:

Make sure source audio and video (blue boxes - far left) are patched in the Timeline before dragging or editing the clip to the Timeline.

1. Patching is indicated when the blue boxes are selected in the V1 and A1 tracks and are viewed as "V1" and "A1"
  2. If selected, boxes indicate that audio and video are patched to specific tracks, which are by default, V1 and A1.
  3. You should now be able to drag the clip (or use the Insert or Overwrite buttons) to edit the clip into the Timeline properly.

Article: Quick Fix: Video Clip Audio Not Appearing in Premiere Pro Timeline

Having trouble importing a file where only audio is present, see this video.

Source Patching Video

Notes: 

• If an A1 or V1 box is not able to be selected, try double clicking the clip in the Project panel to load the clip into the Source Monitor (see the video above).
    • After the clip is in the Source Monitor, the V1 and A1 Source Patch boxes should appear.
    • You can then drag or use buttons or shortcuts to add the clip to the Timeline.
  • The boxes should appear automatically after selecting the clip in the Project panel. If not, click either box that might be unselected.
  • The other V1 and A1 boxes are for targeting track selection. When editing a clip into the Timeline, it does not matter if these are selected or not. Only the ones at the far-left are important. The other buttons are for editing functions after the clip is edited into the Timeline.
  • You can also run into this problem if the source patching boxes pertaining to the clip you are trying to edit into the Timeline aren't appropriately selected. For example, V1 needs to be selected when editing a video-only clip into the Timeline.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you man! you are a lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou so much, this is so simple yet I didn't know that. I'm glad you make this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I feel like an idiot. Glad it was an easy fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super clear and helpful explanation.  Thanks so much.  I just started teaching myself Premier 2 weeks ago to edit a music video, it went very well.  HUGE learning curve haha.  But starting project #2, I ran into this issue.  And your video is the only one I found that hit it so directly and simply.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much man! you just saved me from being frustrated all the time when i try to edit! Thank you so very much for explaining it in simple words and solve my long time problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed with all the comments here. So simple, yet so helpful. Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU XXXXXX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for the selected tracks in the timeline to override the source tracks patching?

i.e to just be able to select where you want the video and not have to line up the patching?

JohnHepworth_0-1662821784520.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, John. Sorry. Source patching is for editing clips into the Timeline. The Toggle Tracks function is for everything except editing clips into the Timeline. It would be a notable feature request, however. Make that here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I used to design user interfaces. Adobe: if something does not work, tell the customer why it doesn't work. Don't just say, essentially, "No, I won't do that." This is not a puzzle game where we get joy from figuring out enigmatic clues. It's supposed to be a tool we use to do work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carl_Fink,

I read your post. Thanks for the feedback, but "Discussions" is a user-to-user forum. If you'd like to give feedback to developers, feel free to file a request or complaint on the Ideas forum here. I'm sure they wouldn't mind reading your take on Source Patching UI design there. I hope that info is helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aunque parezca mentira, es un problema bastante común en el que caen los principiantes.
Una manera muy fácil y didactica de aprenderlo y no olvidarlo nunca más

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines