• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request: Support OpenEXR

Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experimenting with rendering computer graphic animations in an image format called OpenEXR. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Premiere Pro supports OpenEXR in any useful way.

While there is a 3rd-party addon that allows Photoshop to open and edit OpenEXRs, there doesn't appear to be one that does the same for Premiere. As much as I loathe learning a new video editing app, the solution for me is to switch to a 3rd-party option like DaVinci Resolve. Unlike Premiere, DaVinci Resolve easily imports OpenEXR sequences (Premiere will import them, but they display as black frames). Please Adobe, I'd prefer to stick with Premiere. Thanks!

OpenEXR offers a lot of advantages:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature requests go through the Adobe UserVoice pages.  Premiere Pro supported file formats (adobe.com)

OpenEXR is supported.

Premiere Pro supported file formats (adobe.com)

Is what you're importing somehow out of spec for .EXR, .MXR, and .SXR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. The EXRs are output as animation sequences by a CGI app called Blender 3.0 under Windows 11. Blender offers two EXR output formats: OpenEXR, and OpenEXR MultiLayer; I use the latter. I don't know enough about EXR to say whether these outputs are out of spec or not. What I do know is that when opened in either Premiere and Photoshop, the EXRs display as single-layer black images. 

I found a 3rd-party addon for Photoshop called "Exr-IO" which allows Photoshop to display a menu of import options for EXRs, which works great for the files output by Blender, providing access to all the layers within each file. This lead me to think that there might be a similar 3rd-party addon for Premiere, but thus far no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

This is actually a an issue for me as well. EXR as an industry standart and it is not really supported in photoshop nor premiere. I hoped that adobe would push the 32-bit options since the adoption of substance.

Davinci, Nuke and Affinity have much better support of 32-bit data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Unfortunately, I could not correct my spelling errors after the fact. An edit button would be an advantage.
Sorry for the many spelling mistakes. I was a bit too fast there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines