Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Field Order Issues ever since 14.3.2

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

I'm using Premiere in a PAL broadcast news environment. We export h264, 25fps, 1080i, Upper field first. Our broadcast servers pick up the expected file and transcode them for broadcast. 

We haven't upgraded Premiere since v14.3.2 because every version after that causes terrible interlace issues off air. It's like the file is the wrong field order to what the server is expecting even though all software that we analyze the files with say they are upper field first. 

I made the mistake of upgrading to v15 a few days ago and didn't keep the old version expecting that I could just go back to downloading 14.3.2. Well I was wrong, Adobe no longer allows downloads prior to 14.9.

Luckily I'm the only one in my company to make the bad upgrade. 

We seem to have worked a solution by setting the sequence settings to Progressive (bearing in mind we are shooting and have an extensive library of TFF encoded files) and then exporting the file as interlaced. This isn't an ideal solution. 

Do any of you Premiere gurus have any insights? Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format is your source media and is it being correctly interpreted by Premiere?

1080i Upper field first camera originals?

Your workaround should indeed work if the file is being mis-interpreted as progressive - the file will come out the other side with fields intact. Though if you do any scaling it will be done with the progressive algorithm and screw up the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Mike. Camera original and file vision are all TFF. We also mix progressive in there as well.

How can I know if Premiere is interpreting it properly? As I said, every release since 14.3.2 has had the same issues for me. 

Sorry what do you mean by scaling? Is that resizing the image?

Have you heard or seen of this problem in recent releases, or is just me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, resizing the image. As long as you don't resize the image then a file which has fields (but premiere thinks is progressive), can be put on a progressive sequence and exported interlaced whilst maintaining the integrity of the fields. Premiere is basically just passing the video along without knowing it has fields. Use @Steve Griffiths instructions to check how file is interpreted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also at a PAL HD Network that delivers everything in 1080i and can't say we've had any issues with fields that I know of.

14.3.2 was our preferred Premiere version for quite a time ... but while later versions did have some issues, Fields was not one of them. 14.9 is now the favored version. V15 is off limits to us for the time being 🙂

Initially I'd look at how Premiere Pro sees your imported files;

right click a clip in your bin and select Modify > Interpret Footage.

Under 'Field Order' in the window that opens you'll may/should see 'use Field Order from File: Upper field first' selected ... try checking 'conform too:' to the opposite setting i.e Lower Field First. See if that makes any difference. All I can think is that PP is incorrectly interpreting the imported files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can ask Support for 14.0 or 14.5 if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines