• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flickering or jerkiness on playback in Premiere Pro version 12.0.1 (on windows 7)

Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I playback the video I'm in the process of creating and the playback is jerky or flickery. It's fine when viewed later after encoding etc but just won't play back smoothly in Premiere itself.

I've read other posts about this same problem and tried a few of the fixes suggested but they only work for a bit - then the problem comes back. Also some of the answers I read seem beyond my level of understanding. I'm not so technically capable as some. Can anyone help with advice simple enough for me to understand?

I thought of going to the chat help but it was closed, maybe because I'm in New Zealand so it might be the wrong time of day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Media you're using, frame size, frame rate, and what created it, camera - drone - screen-grab, what?

Most likely you have long-GOP media which is hard on the CPU. To get smooth playback, use PrPro's proxy process. Set it to create proxies on ingestion in the Media Browser using the included small Cineform preset, and don't worry about the frame size.

Use the Toggle Proxies icon in the program monitor to play back with proxies  (icon is blue) or click off (gray) to see effect on original media.

For already imported media, select in the bin, right-click, "Proxies/Create Proxies ".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had trouble understanding your advice but I think I've managed to "Set it to create proxies on ingestion in the Media Browser using the included small Cineform preset." as you suggest. However I cannot find any blue or grey "toggle proxies" icon.
I am using video from my new Gopro camera which is currently set to 2.7k resolution at 60FPS.
Now I've managed to get the "toggle proxies" button to show by using the button editor and "enable proxies" in the preferences/media. (Read how to do that on some help file somewhere,) Will now see if that help and report back by editing this reply yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot of material on Adobe's site on using the proxy process ... that's why the Help option is there in the top right of the Menu bar. You might check that out. Granted, much of their 'help' isn't as up to date or extensive as I'd prefer, but you might as well use what's there.

Sounds like you got started ... and as you're using GoPro, how about a quote from the GoPro studio manual on why they recommended transcoding their camera produced media before editing ...

Neil

GoPro Cineform Manual why convert.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!That looks helpful. I'll go and check that out if I can and try to work out how to convert my source files. Thank-you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But of course. We all started from the beginning. Even those switching between NLEs have to nearly start over.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately it hasn't got me anywhere. Now I edit a video and now media encoder refuses to co-operate and won't work anymore. I tried to go back to how I was before, deciding I preferred the flickering to this but it wouldn't go back. I might have to try the chat help and let them into my computer maybe. I read so many things and tried so many things, I've probably messed everything up now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines