• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

footage from phone spoiled

Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello in my project i have mixed footage from xt3 and from my samsung m51. Both are 4k, but the project is 1280x720. The result in export make the clip form the phone bad, much worste than the original. I have exported 2 pass vbr at 10

May be it needs higher export framerate? I am thinking that the phone footage ge spoiled quick if too compressed or with a not high framerate

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are 4k, but the project is 1280x720.

By @stefanocps

Why is that?

Edit 4K in a 4K timeline that matches the fps of the footage and export 4K. If you still want to export to 1280x720, just set that upon export but be aware of that downscaling footage always degrade the footage. Don´t mess with frame rates, it wont do anything to improve the quality. If you footage is 30 fps, export as 30 fps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is an interview, and it will not be displatyed other than facebook or youtube on mobil ephone, so i shoot 4k and wotk at 720 bcause i can crop,and with the same shoot i can have more level of framing, from the whole scene to the closeup ....

i regularly do that, never work at 4k and i never see big problem, but the phone footage have it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much did you zoom in onthe phone footage? Were you working in a 720P sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phone footage by nature is noisier than say a larger sensor like an XT4. So going from 4K -> 720P you shoudl probably restrict yourself to a maximum of 200% zoom. Technically you could go 300% but I reckon you'll start to see all teh artifical sharpening and noise in that smaller sensor.  Also you have to work in a 720P timeline. You can't zoom in on something in a 4k timeline and then render it out at 720P - Premiere Pro does not do recursive scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to describe the problem better than "bad". Noisy? Moire? Low res? Stuttering? Shudder?

You can't improve footage by increasing the framerate. The framerate should match your footage. If you shot at 30fps, then your sequence should be 30fps and your export should be 30fps, although Premiere does a decent job of adjusting framerates if you have sources with different rates. About the only thing it hates is Variable frame rates from mobile phones, but this would show up in the edit as problematic audio sync.

By 2 pass VBr at 10, do you mean 10Mbits a second? And what codec and container are you going to? I suggest using one of the social media presets for H264 .mp4 - eg Youtube or Vimeo 720P. thes are optimised to give good quality at optimal data rates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok  the phone footage i cropped to 69%

Then when i talk about framerate before, i was mistake, i meant bitrate, so i was meaning may be increasing the bitrate the footage is better?

Framerate..also is a problem, as fuji was at 25 while phone couldn't set it other than 30

And the sequence is at 25

..how can be adjusted this?

The video look lowres, i will post some frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here it is the video, exported h264 vbr1 15mbps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the phone footage is variable frame rate *and* you are asking Pr to change the frame rate, then I expect you would get the issue you have. 

Not only is the video noisy (you may or may not be able to correct that), but you are getting artifacts at regular intervals.

I recommend you check your phone footage in MediaInfo's Tree View and see if it is variable or constant frame rate. If variable, run it through Handbrake and make it constant frame rate.

A possible fix for the noisy video would be the Neat Video plugin, but it must be purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok it is variable. I have used as really b side, so fewq frames now and then, not much.. Now ho do i do the procedure to keep the edit in premiere? It is only 1 file, loaded oin premiere and transcoded with proxies.What i would do is, converting with handbrake  (to fixed ok but 30fps or 25?) and then use REPLACE footage in premiere bin. Correct?Any free alternative to neat video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stefanocps wrote:

ok it is variable....What i would do is, converting with handbrake  (to fixed ok but 30fps or 25?) and then use REPLACE footage in premiere bin. Correct?Any free alternative to neat video?

Fix it in Handbrake to its native frame rate. If you don't like the results, try setting it to your sequence frame rate. It's possible that Handbrake has algorithms for frame rate conversion that you will like better than Pr's.

I don't know of any free alternatives to Neat Video, but others might.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need handbrake for better frame conversion than PP can do, Adobe have program for that, called Adobe After Effects, lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

btw for noisy video DaVinci Resolve have the best noise reduction and many other thins, worth buying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don't have good algorithem for that, if you would export with the same settings with other program you would get different resoults. There are some encoding programs on the market, which are used by the leading post production company, try on web. Frame rate won't help, maybe bitrate will do a job. 

I was getting very low size mp4 from the post production houses / cartoons, which looked fantastic, no artifacts, no noise... when i exportet the same file for the audio post production department - they were doing dubing, picture was a mess and my file site was 50mb, and their like 4mb.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also try to play with key frame distance on export settings bellow the bitrate settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i don't understand this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines