Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footage gets overexposed after importing into project

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey community,

after importing a .MOV file to my premiere project it gets overexposed right away. When I playback the native file in the finder, everything looks alright. Picture one: File on harddrive. Picture two: File in premiere.

No filters are applied on the clip or timeline. I tried importing the footage to a brand new project. Nothing changed.  I even get the same results,  when rendering the clip to my hardrive. I'm using MacOS 12.0.1 (21A559). Premiere is version 22.0.0 Build 169. Working on a MacBook Pro 16" 2019. No external screens are connected. You can download the sample file here https://we.tl/t-8Zy0IQCRzO

I can't edit the video because everything looks burned out.

Thank you all for the support.

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue with .mov files. So frustrating! I want my video to show up AS SHOT. My quick fix was exporting copys of .mov files through quicktime. In my opion this is a temporary fix & still not exacly right but seems the Codecs & Color profile are the problem! I've worked with lots of .mov files before so idk why this is happening now. Possible monitor problems? but that dosn't seem to be the case. This is a stupid problem. Would love a better solution! Heres screen shots of file info 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As shot" ... that clip is HLG ... an HDR color space. Were you aware of that?

Premiere used to assume a Rec.709 SDR workflow, period. So it essentially 'transformed' most media to Rec.709 (practical explanation). Rec.709/SDR is still by far the most practical mode to work in. Far more screens can handle that than can actually handle any HDR at this point in time.

But as so much media is now HDR of one form or another, like your clip example, they changed because they have to match the media people are working with.

And that means the users now have to take note of and control of color management for clips, sequences, and exports. Which we didn't before because it was all gonna be Rec.709.

Look the the left side screen shot in your post. That clearly shows the clip as in the HLG color space. As I said above, Rec.709/SDR is still a more practical 'space' to work in and export to. So how do you fix this?

You can easily tell Premiere to transform one or more clips from say HLG to Rec.709, but it will not do so unless you tell it to.

So ... select one or more clips in the Project panel/bin. Right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage. Set the option to Override to Rec.709.

Then in your sequence, make sure the sequence settings show a color space of Rec.709. And export with a standard format/preset. The HLG/PQ options all list that in their name.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Signed in just to like your post and thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks.

I've got two FAQs on the whole new color system, and ... a UserVoice request to get us users a single, USABLE contol panel for color management.

The two FAQs cover ... first one: what's changed in Pr2022, how to work with the new system, and what's currently broken like proxies for HLG media; the second is how to setup for HDR monitoring in Pr2022, as that has also changed completely.

FAQ:PremierePro 2022 Color Management for Log/RAW Media

How to Set Monitors for HDR work in Premiere Pro 2022?

And ... they're putting the new CM controls all over the fricking app, wherever they seem to 'fit' to the engineers. Which means users have to hunt for something somewhere unknown ... when we don't even know exactly what it is we're looking for if we see it!

So I've got a request in for a single, unified Essential Color Management Panel ... one panel to rule them all, setting default behaviors/preferences and setting overrides for specific clips.

Color Management Panel

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, Thank you for this information it solved my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helpful, fixed my issue. Many Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked for my old MacBook with latest version of Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

How do you know what your video clips look like straight out of the camera as shot? That being said Premiere Pro can replicate the images straight out of the camera as shot 100% regardless if you use a $1200.00 Dell Laptop or a $3200.00 iMac as seen in the video below. Keep in mind all video editing systems must be setup correct 100% correct as seen in the video below. 

https://youtu.be/njiGU7jNdJk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and was able to troubleshoot it.  It's because you are on an intel mac and that and newer versions of Premiere are written for the m1 chip.  It's messed up on Adobe's part that they have not fixed this issue.   Import that same footage into Premiere 2021 and see if that fixes it.  It will.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Premier 2022, so I switched back to Premier 2021, and it initially fixed it. Now the issue has spread to 2021 as well. Editing that used to take 15 minutes is now taking longer than an hour, because I'm having to make so many color changes to try to match the look of the footage as it was shot. I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed. I never had any similar issues until 2022 was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having issues in 2021, they're not the same thing as the color management changes in 2022. Period. The underlying color is COMPLETELY different between the two versions, they don't share anything in color handling.

Which is why bringing 2021 projects into 2022 can have so many issues. Most any log-encoded media that is 'default' handled as Rec.709 in 2021, will be handled as the new default in 2022 as HLG, as HDR. And yea, that makes bringing many projects from 2021 to 2022 a big mess.

But then I don't normally recommend migrating projects forward anywy. Keep working them in the prior version. Install the newer version and use for new projects ... if at all possible.

So if you're having issues in 2021, start a new thread, detail the troubles, and I'll be happy to jump in and help out.

It's very easy to understand why things changed so dramatically in the 2022 version. Very obvious ... they had to change the app to bring the color handling up to modern standards.

2021 and earlier are all hard-coded as Rec.709 underlying color. Which made setting defaults easy for the engineers, and predictable for the users. But that totally limited the app to a Rec.709 'world'.

2022 and forward versions will not make assumptions, so they can work with either Rec.709 or HDR media. Depending on how the users tell Premiere to work with the clip, sequence, and export color.

And that means from now on, users will HAVE to take responsibility to set their color management details for each project.

And understand, I don't think they "stuck the landing" on rolling out the new color system.
We need more contols, more options to set defaults & such. But those will come over time.

Welcome to the modern world ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello there!! i was having the exact same issues with my footage as well!! i somehow fixed by going into Video Effects>Brightness & Contrast> and then adjusting the brightness and contrast back to a normal level!! i hope this helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color space is your footage?

What color working space for the sequence?

What is your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall the latest premiere and use an older version if you need a quick fix while people figure it out. I didn't have the time with my filming and delivery schedule to wait for this process to be completed. Version 2022 doesnt have any exposure issues. ❤️ goodluck everyone technology can be frustrating but there's always a solution! Hang in there! 🙂 Happy Friday! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines