Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footage shot at 48fps, Premiere reading frame rate as 23.976

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm currently working with footage shot at 48fps. Its showing up as slow-mo footage, but Premiere is telling me the frame rate for the footage is 23.976. The issue I'm having is that we are wanting to make this footage play at normal speed.

I've scoured the interwebs for best ways to go about this, but have come up with nothing. It seems if I speed the clip up to about 151% its looks about normal, but I would really like to be as exact as possible. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click your footage in the bin or project window, select 'modify' and then select 'interpret footage' and change frame rate to 48 where is says 'assume this frame rate'.

If you want to keep the footage at 48fps you'll also need to ensure your sequence settings are at 48fps.

But if you are using a sequence with another frame rate - your footage will still playback at the correct speed. Though it will be converted to the native frame rate of the sequence automatically even though it's 'speed' remains the same.

By the way, if you continued to use your current method of speeding up the clips in your sequence (which you can) you'd actually need to run at 200% to get the original speed - as 23.976 is basically half of 48.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely that doesnt work, as Premiere is say that the footage is 23.976. I tried interpreting as 48fps, but that makes it waaaay sped up, same with doing a speed ramp at 200%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, potentially some 'weirdness' going on here.

If the footage really was shot at 48 frames per second the method I outlined should work.

If as you say speeding it up by 151% results in it looking right, that would indicate the 'real' original speed was 36fps. So I'm stumped.

Try playing the original footage externally to Premiere Pro. The free app called VLC is an option. It can tell you the frame rate. While playing in VLC does the 'speed' look right?

Tell us more about the original footage - what was it shot with? 

What are your sequence settings in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines