Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Footage within Premiere suddenly VERY dark after calibrating monitor

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I calibrated my PA329c monitor as I noticed a documentary I am editing looks vastly different when viewed from my M1 MacBook. After a few unsuccessful calibrations with the Spider X, I feel my monitor looks balanced (got rid of excess green tint in shadows). Now a major problem has emerged. Suddenly, the footage in Premiere is VERY dark. If I enable “Display Color Management” it becomes even darker. Upon export, the footage is back to normal, but this makes it impossible for me to finish my color grading. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Dark.pngNormal.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question  ... I hope your calibration and monitor were both (correctly) set for video/limited levels?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's hard to do that stuff without using an SDI reference monitor as the hero monitor.. but if you go with rec709 and make small adjustments of the gamma you should get real close. May have to export real short samples to check ( maybe using VLC ), and be patient cause it is hard to do IMO.

I don't know if PPro supports SDI output from another new graphics card you'd have to install in your mobo ...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-reading your post, what did you calibrate that to? Specs should be sRGB primaries, Rec.709 profile, gamma 2.4, brightness 100 nits.

You don't calibrate to how it looks to the eye, of course.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, thanks for your help. I used the Spyder X software, which only allows you to set the gamma (2.4) and white point (6500k) before it calibrates to its own accord. My monitor display is set to Rec709 (set through the physical buttons on the monitor), whereas the ICC profile is set to the Spyder Calibration. The calibration shifts are extremely minor; something internal must have happened. After creating this post, upon reopening Premiere, my colors looked normal again but had an intense orange/pinkish tint upon export. Now, the original situation as outlined in the post is back in action. I've spent all day trying to figure this out, but I am left without any hint. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this might be helpful for you ?

ASUS ProArt Color Center

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an eizo monitor and use a spider pro, and was looking for something like this for your monitor

Monitor Calibration Software - ColorNavigator | EIZO

that's how I found your color center... didn't see any software though...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Yanna, thanks so much for your insight. I am on hold with ASUS customer support to hopefully get access to their calibration software. This will help ensure my monitor is right, but it will not resolve the issues I suddenly have with Premiere. I have no idea what internal setting shifted, but the difference is drastic

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear J111, don't get discouraged. it's a process that's complicated. First get the monitor right, and it looks good in PPro as you edit and grade. Then deal with other issues... like graphics card settings and PPro export specs re: keeping what you see similar to what you get in final product.

It's not easy and millions of people have struggled with this stuff so it's not YOU.. it's just plain hard to do. Good luck.

: )

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how'd it go ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines