Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame drops with mxf files on hi-spec machine - I need your help

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had a good dig for a number of days through the forums and internet and could use some help.

Problem:

We have just invested in a new hi-spec edit suite and are having frame drops while using mxf files.

Example of problem here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_H9zUA0aTFMlZqpemc46hHNcowT0c363shadowplay dropped frames.mp4 - Google Drive

Specifications:

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5120 CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2195 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 28 Logical Processor(s)

Waiting on second cpu - currently running with as single cpu as above

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X - 12GB video ram

Windows 10 64 bit

Premiere Pro 12

M.2 500gb Boot and application drive

M.2 500gb cache drive

3TB 7200 rpm - media files

Benchmark

In the benchmark testing (amazing standardized test Bill) scored 130,69,26,215

From my research this seems to indicate that everything is where it should be apart from the graphics card under-performing using the comparison chart.

Problem defined:

The frame drops only appear while using mxf files. These files have been shot on Sony fs7 in 1080 and 4K, at variety of frame rates. All sizes and rates drop frames even at the lowest resolution in playback. This is in mixed sequences (frame rate/ frame size) and in clips with matching frame rates.

In playback the CPU GPU and memory sit at around 15% for 1080 and 30% for 4K. CPU jacks to 50-65% without cuda enabled.

A few times I have been able to get the edit suite to play mxf files in all resolutions. When it is stable I can push it to what it should be able to handle. However, as soon as I close PP and restart back to frame drops.

All these files have worked on our old edit suite with the exception of 4K having to be played at 1/2 resolution for no dropped playback (Old edit suite 24gb ram, geforce gtx 950, i7-3770 - windows 7).

What we have tried so far:

Fresh projects

Fresh profiles

Have tried a variety of mxf footage filmed over the last 6 months

using the media browser to import footage

Installing Avid quicktime LE codecs

Updated Nvidia drivers - also tried removing them all and re-installing

Switching between CUDA enabled/disabled

Enabling/Disabling all firewalls

Reinstalling premiere + Media encoder

Rolling back to premiere + media encoder 2017

Installed Avid Media Composer - no issue playing the mxf files, though avid does transcode on import (Thought the AVID PE codecs might help)

Ran off single screen

disabled audio while scrubbing

disabled mercury playback

Shifted audio preview cache to m.2 media cache

Uninstalled Realtek HD microsoft audio

updated all audio drivers

disabled composite preview during trim

Shifted project files to SSD

Powersaver to high performance

Quicktime Installed to latest

Quicktime rolled back to 7.7.6

Disable audio card

Disable nivida audio driver

I would appreciate any help. It is now day four of trying to fix this, I am going crazy, it is costing a lot of money and I have stories piling up.

It was meant to be faster, that's all I wanted.

Kind regards

Stu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Cineform proxies with that media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Also, perform Steps 2N and 3C below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't had to use proxies with mxf files for the many years we have been editing on premiere.

The proxy building time can be a huge hindrance on quick turn around pieces.

Thank you for the troubleshooting guide, it's a well put together list.

Ill let you know how we go.

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find out what the problem was; we are having the same thing happen with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your computer specs? Including drives and their types/connections. And what created those files?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Neil you have seen this problem before. It's a known problem and everyone is pretending like it's not. 

Has anyone fixed the drip frame issue yet? It's seems it has to do with the Xeon processor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally,  no I haven't had this. I've seen a few other users with posts about it.

When product support staffer Kevin Monahan posted about the possibility of an issue with Xeon processors, that was the first I'd seen about that.

Engineers do communicate more with staffers than users, you know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this problem last week and you said that you had never heard of this problem before. When I went back to search though the community again I saw this and thought.. so he HAD seen it before! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We users are never supplied with a list of potential bugs. So unless we've either had one, or been through threads discussing one, we wouldn't know anything about them.

I've seen a few users with mxf file troubles over the years but there's been several different things.

When Kevin mentioned the Xeon CPU issue a few days ago was the first I'd heard of that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug.

And the solution that worked for me is press "L" on timeline to increase playback speed.

After that playback becomes without drops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works for me! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines