• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame Substitution Recursion Attempt

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple projects that I use on a regular basis that contain common clips that get used over and over. Some of them are years old that get updated and exported again and again. Yesterday, I opened one of these projects and the Frame Substitution Recursion Attempt error window popped up on one of the video clips (the little red box in the corner — and the clip showed as a black box while the audio played fine). This is a clip I have been using for years, and Premiere never had a problem with it. The crazy thing is, the way I "fixed" it was to make a copy of the file, reimport it, and substitute it in the project. No conversion; no actual change to the clip was needed. Today, I ran into the same problem with a second project: two clips had issues. I made copies, reimported them, and went through the work of replacing them, etc. A pain. Afterward, I decided to downgrade to the most recent old version of Premiere in case there's a bug in the latest version. So, I downgraded from 14.4 to 14.3.2. I then opened up the project I had worked in today (I had saved the new, replaced project as a new file), and did not get the error. Yay ... I thought. I opened up a third project to see if it would error. It did not. Yay, again ... I thought. I started working in this third project and upon exporting, I receive the Frame Substitution Recursion Attempt in Media Encoder even though it didn't pop up while I was working. Again, these are clips I have used and exported many, many times in the past. What is going on?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue. Tight deadline. Very frustrating. Following for help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uncheck render at maximum bit depth. additionally try transcoding to prores or software render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render at Maxiumum was already unchecked. Exporting from within Premiere is working. This doesn't really solve the issue, though. I can't upgrade to the newest Premiere without having to "fix" every old project file, and I now have to wait while each file exports (typing up Premiere) instead of continuing to work on other projects while the exporting happens in the background in Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Random clips providing the same error. Also random graphic items (such as a Tiff I am doing a move on blacking out for 20 or 30 frames, no error. Project has been underway for a few weeks with no error prior to update.  Windows 10; GTX 980 graphics, i5 procesor, SSD for system, internal Raid 1 for assets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, I reverted back to 14.3 and all is well. Bug in 14.4 or maybe my NVidia 980 is now obsolete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with version 14.4. Did't occur before the update.

photoshop-1.jpgphotoshop-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" So, I downgraded from 14.4 to 14.3.2. I then opened up the project I had worked in today (I had saved the new, replaced project as a new file), and did not get the error. "

How do you do that? The problem arose immediately after I did the upgrade. Project I had been working on for a month, not a single problem. Hit upgrade and the error message pops up then proceeds to render it impossible to work as it repeats itself like bad pizza a hundred times a minute....

Mark d 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure which part you're asking about. The end of the situation is, no matter which version I use (downgraded step by step down to Version 13), I didn't stop getting the error, whether in Premiere or in Media Encoder when exporting. So, I've upgraded back up to 14.4 and will just have to fix each "problem file" as they present themselves. If Adobe fixes the problem, great, but I don't know how to do it myself. And no one here seems to know how to, either. At least the fix is fairly straight forward: make a copy of the clip file, import the copy, and replace the problem clip with the copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem following for a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with the Frame Substitution Recursion with no fix, some said the graphic card may be the driver and change the file extension to m4v, change the render to software only, unfortunately, all suggestions haven't fixed the problem.

it would be great if adobe responds with a bug fix or an update  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Old videos made using much older Premiere do not work anymore. I'm getting frustrated with this sh*t. Before migrating from Win7 to Win10 and having the codecs in Adobe package there were no problems. I want to have this system working, not wondering what else I need than Premiere and Windows (preferrablt Linux, but Adobe is not supporting Linux.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that worked for me: Copy all clips etc. that you have in your timeline, close your old project, create a entire new project with your settings, then File/Import your old project, create a timeline and paste your old timeline in. Voilà, no bugs anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this did not help.

I'll see if I can go back to v14.3 as someone wrote that this issue is only in v14.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INDEED! Version 14.3 works as a charm. Version 14.4 is not working with these old clips.
Problem resolved. Adobe should fix the bug from v14.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue following for a solution. Im a anime youtube content creator and EVERY video I use these two clips title sequence and end sequence clips in every single one of my videos. However today I was unable ot at all and I need to get this video up cause I was already passed my deadline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the workaround I outlined in my first post? Even though we shouldn't have to do this, it does work (at least for me) and should be able to get you through this deadline. Make duplicates of the offending video clip files and either replace the footage in Premiere with the copies or import the copies and replace them in the sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unforunately no both making a copy and trying to import were not fruitful for m. I dont understand how this can still be a prevelant issue when so many people are experiencing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All my clips do that. When I scroll through my imported clips and as each new one comes up, the same problem pops up. When I drag clips onto the timeline it does the same thing. The only time it does not do it is in the preview window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same issue.  The clips I use over and over are Quicktime files with the animation codec selected so I could do an alph channel.  It's very frustrating.  No solutions from my end, just adding my complaint to the pile so Adobe addresses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try ProRes 4444+ instead. Does that work? 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did work!  Thanks.  I'll respong again if something goes wrong but hopefully this is the last time i have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines