Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fuzzy exported videos from project with clips from multiple cameras

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm exporting a project with footage from the following cameras (see below), all 4K / 25FPS: 

- Sony A7S

- GoPro Hero 7 Black

- GoPro Hero 10 Black

with these project settings: 

Rhodri_1_0-1648134617346.png

Why is my export frame fuzzy like this?!?!

Rhodri_1_1-1648134686898.png

Please help,

Thanks,

Rhod

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

You are using a very low bitrate for 4k video. I personally use about 15 Mbps for 1920x1080, and 4k is 4x the pixel count of that, so for H264 you should be setting a target bitrate more in the realm of 60 Mbps (not the 10 Mbps you are currently using.) Also, uncheck Use Max Render Quality. If all your clips are 4k and both your Sequence and Export are 4k you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

I agree with Byron's comment. You can try increasing the bitrate further to see if you even notice a difference. But the point of using a compressed deliverable codec like H264 or H265 is usually to find a balance between file size and quality. And at a certain point you are only increasing the file size with no perceivable difference in quality.  

You can try using H265, which is even more efficient than H264, and you'll achieve a "better" compression with the same or even slightly lower bitr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a very low bitrate for 4k video. I personally use about 15 Mbps for 1920x1080, and 4k is 4x the pixel count of that, so for H264 you should be setting a target bitrate more in the realm of 60 Mbps (not the 10 Mbps you are currently using.) Also, uncheck Use Max Render Quality. If all your clips are 4k and both your Sequence and Export are 4k you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh yes, changing the bitrate to 60 worked - would putting it to 80 make it even crisper?

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posiblemente nadie notará la diferencia entre 60Mbps y 80Mbps, el cambio en la calidad de será casi imperceptible. Sin embargo, siempre es mejor experimentar así que te sugiero que hagas la prueba. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Byron's comment. You can try increasing the bitrate further to see if you even notice a difference. But the point of using a compressed deliverable codec like H264 or H265 is usually to find a balance between file size and quality. And at a certain point you are only increasing the file size with no perceivable difference in quality.  

You can try using H265, which is even more efficient than H264, and you'll achieve a "better" compression with the same or even slightly lower bitrates.

My personal go to targets for bitrate usually fall somewhere around:
1920x1080 - H264 @ 15 Mbps

3840x2160 - H264 @ 60 Mbps

3840x2160 - H265 @ 45 Mbps

They fluctuate based on content, framerate, etc. Higher framerate I'll give higher bitrate. More action and movement in the footage = higher bitrate, not much movement and just cards or talking heads = lower bitrate.

If your goal is purely quality over file size then you can export to a really high bitrate video codec like Quicktime ProRes, which would be common as a master or intermediate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Extemely helpful, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines