Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Generating peak files and cache drive / scratch disk

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have changed my Media Cache and Scratch Disk drive to a dedicated m2 drive, but when I ingest media, the 'generating audio peak files' process is increasing my project drive usage (SSD) to 80-100% (whereas my Media Cache and Scratch Disk drive usually over around 0-1% usage during this process). This makes me think the preview files aren't being build to the m2 drive. My audio and video preview files are also still located on my project drive file next to the project folder despite me unticking this box. Am I missing something? Many thanks.

Premiere Pro 22.6.2
Windows 10
9900k, 32gb RAM
OS - SSD
Project and Media - SSD
Cache - M2

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video and audio previews aren't created when you import/ingest media. They are created when you render the timeline, so those won't contribute in any meaningful way to the import process or peak generation.

I believe the peaks will go to where the cache is set. And it's not uncommon to see huge drive usage there as those are generated since I think they are otherwise computationally easy to create, so the drive ends up being the bottleneck. Since there's a decent gap in speed between the m2 and the SSD I'm assuming you're just seeing that drive bottleneck on the slower one since it's reading the source media from that drive to create the peaks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try putting your projects on the m2. I keep all PP stuff on the c: drive, including cache and my projects on another. Further I do my exports to a third m2. But before I had that 3rd one, I keep all my stuff on one, and all adobe stuff on the other. Works well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is on my boot drive 'SSD 1', my projects and media are on 'SSD 2' and I have an M2 cache drive 'M2' (I wouldn't be comfortable separating projects from media). I have set my cache and video/audio previews (under Project Settings) to 'M2'. As Philip mentions the spike on 'SSD 2' is probably he media files being read. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it's working, great! 🙂 

I don't seperate my media from the projects either. My whole project is in a folder, on -  using your example - ssd2. If I had your rig, and it seemed overworked, I'd try putting my whole project on the m2, and reset the cache to ssd1. (Or even ssd2.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines