• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Geolocation Metadata

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export a video from Premiere Pro into an mp4, is geolocation data contained in it? I am taking footage in Ukraine as I type this, and I DO NOT want people to be able to locate the people I am filming...

Cheers, Jordan

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there is no geolocation in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jordan23947896iotq 

To be safe, in the Export Settings Window, click the [Metadata] button in the bottom left and select "Off" for the Export Options and "Exclude All" for the Preservation Rules.

I believe H.264 exports (at least in Premiere) do not support full embedded metadata anyway, but in case you're exporting to a different file format, it would just be an extra step towards ensuring none of the raw footage's source metadata is preserved at all.

Then to be 100% safe, you can pull your exported file back into Premiere, look at the clip in the Metadata panel, and see what metadata is associated with the clip, which should be nothing but basic video information if you've selected "Off" and "Exclude All" as I mentioned above! Premiere does support metadata fields related to location (EXIF GPS, etc.), meaning you can look at your export's file metadata in that Metadata panel, search for GPS and Location metadata fields, and verify that the information was not written in your export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how many cameras do this.  But, my DJI "aerial camera" has an option to embed geograhpic data in (of all places) the caption field.  I assume that the option exists so that, if necessary, an operator can prove he was in a legal place while shooting video.  

The way it works is to turn on the option in the "Fly App" and then use VLC or similar with captions selected to display.  

So, Jordan, be sure whatever camera you are using does not somehow record the geographic data!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Excellent. Thanks for your quick response...
- Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines