• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[GH4] Premiere cutting audio off

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded a long interview with the Rode Videomic Pro. The GH4 cut it into 4GB clips, which is an internal feature, so fine. VLC plays each MOV file with perfect audio to the end of each clip.

But when I import into Premiere, Premiere cuts off the last 30 milliseconds or so of each clip's audio:

buExwIb.png

Video is perfectly smooth when clipped together, no jumping. I'm running CC 2017 on Windows 10.

Help please?

EDIT: I've made it clearer what the issue is:

mpInWeK.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

So here's my workaround. Navigate to the folder containing the footage, hold Shift and right click in Explorer, select "Open command window here." In the command window, type "ren *.mov *.mpg" without quotes and it will rename the files to .mpg.

When Premeire asks to locate footage, deselct "file extension" and locate the first clips. The rest should be located as it's only searching for the file name at that point. The problem I'm encountering now is that it still recognizes all the footage as .

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen this when recording MP4 files, and generally recommend that option over MOV for all cameras that offer another option.

QuickTime has just exhibited far too many issues over the years.

Having said that, I think you're the first to report this issue here in the forums.  You might give the troubleshooter a try, see if anything helps.

Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio also cuts off in the exactly same way as above when the corresponding video file is imported directly into Audition, if that gives anyone more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue, shooting with a GH4 as well. The audio cuts out in After Effects too. If I play it from Explorer, it's fine.

I tried changing to MP4 on the GH4 and I'm still having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's my workaround. Navigate to the folder containing the footage, hold Shift and right click in Explorer, select "Open command window here." In the command window, type "ren *.mov *.mpg" without quotes and it will rename the files to .mpg.

When Premeire asks to locate footage, deselct "file extension" and locate the first clips. The rest should be located as it's only searching for the file name at that point. The problem I'm encountering now is that it still recognizes all the footage as .MOV in the Project panel and in my sequences, so I would have to use Reload Footage on every single clip. Rather than doing this, I'll just pull the relevant audio when I need it. Going forward, changing the file extension should be sufficient, I imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue PP CC2017. Shooting with the GH4, 4K, MOV files.

If the clip is self contained (i.e. start and stop within the time for it to just be one clip), not a problem. If what I am recording requires multiple clips (broken up automatically by the GH4), the end of the clip has approximately 1 second of audio cut out. The video is still there.

I am able to play it correctly out of Windows Explorer.

I have had success importing the clip into Audition CC2017 and then exporting the audio only file (as a .wav) out. Then import that audio only file into PP and sync it up. It works, but adds steps that shouldn't be needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what I am recording requires multiple clips (broken up automatically by the GH4), the end of the clip has approximately 1 second of audio cut out. The video is still there.

I think I know what your problem is: You're importing your broken-up files via the Import command rather than using the Media Browser — which knows how to stitch together such broken-up files. Watch the first video on this page (starting around 2 min.):

Edit DSLR video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're importing your broken-up files via the Import command rather than using the Media Browser — which knows how to stitch together such broken-up files.

I don't think that applies here, Stefan.  PP will stitch the AVCHD files, which are MTS format, but not the MP4 or MOV files, which are the subject of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem exists with Media Browser and the Import function. It also doesn't just affect spanned clips. I am missing the last second or so of audio from every single clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with LUMIX FZ2500 footage. This problem occurred a few years ago with GH3 footage in a previous version of PP CC and was resolved with a PP software update. Hope we can get a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HydraulicStudios & Eric: The Premiere Pro product team responds to bug reports, so please log your situation — especially since it is reproducible: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I filled out a Bug Report with the relevant information, so hopefully that will help!

prphotog, changing the file extension worked for me. I just swapped it to .mpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with GH4 footage.  I think it was fine before the last update as well.  I have a project that was behaving properly in the past, but now is messed up.  I need a fix ASAP.  Does changing the file extensions fix the problem currently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the file extension fix does resolve the issue. This is a great workaround, but I hope Adobe fixes the original issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been experiencing this issue for a while now...just wanted to add that it's still happening with GH4 footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Quite annoying. Will Adobe fix it???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here and it have been long time with this issue (since the last update 2 or 3 months ago), seems weird that it only happens with the GH4, I hope Adobe could fix this soon, and I hope that changing the extension will fix it.

I have tried in Mov and mp4 in GH4 recording and I am getting this issue in both ways in every single clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add that this is happening with GH5 footage as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just discovered this problem as well. Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I thought this was just my GH4 was going bad or something, didn't realize it was a Premiere issue until I got my GH5 and was like, dammit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue.

I am using footage shot with my GH4. I have all of the MOV media imported. When the file is broken up into two or more files, the last tiny bit of the audio is missing in Premiere.

I've tried renaming the MOV to MP4 and no success. It plays but it is still missing that last little bit of audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually thought my GH4 was getting a bit old when encountering this problem, and got a GH5 (well.. other reasons too)

only to find out it has the exact same problem!

workarounds are unacceptable, i have tons of small video files that need super quick editing, it should work right out of the cam!! this is the main reason to get premiere, edit with no transcoding or fuss. the GH4 and GH5 are not exactly a niche product, it should be dealt with high priority.

any update yet? (i'm using 2017.0.2)

ps it happens on MP4 files, also short ones, also unspanned ones, several bit rates and HD and 4K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i upgraded to 2017.1 (which i really didn't want to.. but this bug must be solved) to find out the END of the files are good now, but the START still has a little silence...

so.... the bug is found but only half fixed..... really? anyone else have a full fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a very similar issue with Premiere CC 2018 importing a .MOV file. It cut off the last minute of the file in both AME and Premiere. Simply renaming it from .mov to .mpg fixed the issue. So. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This post is outdated and stale. Locking.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines