Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ghost frames

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 12.6, Adobe Premiere Pro 2023

Hello, I work with a archive footage, so I work with a lot of edits right in the cut between two shots. What is happening to me quite often is that after I render the sequence in some moments the last frame from the previous shot suddenly appears, so the transition is not clean. It started to appear couple of months ago, it never happened to me before and I work with Premiere 15 years. Does anybody have some idea or suggestion what can be wrong? Thanks a lot!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...a lot of edits right in the cut between two shots. What is happening to me quite often is that after I render the sequence in some moments the last frame from the previous shot suddenly appears, so the transition is not clean. It started to appear couple of months ago, it never happened to me before and I work with Premiere 15 years. Does anybody have some idea or suggestion what can be wrong? Thanks a lot!

By @jnk_rs

You must have enough handles for transitions to work properly. If not, you will see ghost frames. When you make cuts between two shots you have no handles and that equals to ghost frames.

See here: Adobe Premiere: Handles and Transitions (mediacollege.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but this is only if I use some transition effect, not when making just simple cuts, right? Why am I asking is that it happens only somewhere. As you can see on the screenshot, there are many of simple cuts, but this problem appears just "randomly" somewhere. I guess it is not just random bug, but I have no idea what can be wrong...

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 9.26.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but this is only if I use some transition effect, not when making just simple cuts, right?

By @jnk_rs

No, if you dont have enough handles it will happen with every transition. In some cases it will be very easy to spot and in some cases not depending of if one are missing handles on both clips, or only the incoming clip, or only the outgoing clip, or both. This can be seen as having some randomness to it though it is not.

Can you maybe post a short clip so we can see how it looks? Since you wrote ghost frame i am not 100% sure that this is the problem or if you by ghost frame mean that one/two/three frame/s from a total different place of the clip, or even from a different clip.

This icon show that you are cutting the same clip and that leans more toward the "missing handles" issue.

Averdahl_0-1671137473199.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might misunderstood my question.

You are cutting up one long file up into short clips pasted on the timeline

opposite, editing all short imported clips on the timeline.

The former is prone to showing frames from a previous or following scene.

If a transition covers the previous or next scene, then yes you will see odd frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I am picking the good sequences from various old movies, mostly by cutting the parts I need right after the last frame of the previous part I do not want to use. Then all the time I work with it I see only those frames which I cut out of the footage in the whole sequence. But after I do the render suddenly at some of the parts appear one, two or three frames from the sequence, which I erased. You can see two examples on the exported clip here: https://vimeo.com/781634814/e19f20ef13

O:13 - a frame with red balls in the fourth screen, before the gray-blue rotating form

or at 0.20 after the white cups in the 2nd screen.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the issue, cutting it on the last frame when using transitions.

If the transition is 30 frames, and you want the transition center cut, you need to cut the clip 15 frames earlier/shorter.

handles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this I know, but I am not using transitions, just simple cuts. There are, let's say, 150 simple cuts in this project and this is happening just in ca 10 moments. That is why I do not understand what is going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the files variable framerate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry for a late reply, I thought it might be the case, but I checked today and it is all equal 25fps 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check with MediaInfo ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this one long file or all single clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

single clips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here! The only solution I have found is to download a super old version of the premiere so that this does not happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines