Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Global FX Mute Preview Window multicam

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When editing a multicam, you of course need to use the preview window to make selections.  However, Global FX mute does not affect the clips in preview window, only in the program monitor.  So, this means that if you are editing say a music video or concert video with a bunch of camera angles, you have to keep all of your log footage flat with no lut or color grade on it while editing since you can't toggle back and forth. 

The only workaround seems to be going in to each track and manually disabling lumetri so that you can edit flat log footage during the multicam, and then re-enabling later to make sure you like all the decisions you made.  I understand the basic idea of editing first and color later, but with really flat footage it's very distracting to have literally no basic rec709 color/contrast on your footage and to not be able to toggle this.  

Any ideas on this?  Am a overlooking anything in the way that this works?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding something. I shoot a lot of BRAW, which is a flat log-type media. And I do some multicam work. I do most of my 'cutting' in the Program monitor not the Source monitor for multicam work. And certainly have the BRAW converter applied to all my BRAW clips in the Source tab.

So everything I'm cutting in my multicams is converted to Rec.709.

Um ... so I'm puzzled about your query.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that works for you, that's fantastic.  However, the standard approach for editing a larger project where mutlicam content is being cut with other types of content (for example a documentary), is to try/preview/select your media in the preview window and cut into the timeline, which is reflected by the program monitor.  

Yes, you can drag a multicam timeline into your main timeline and switch that monitor to multicam view to edit that portion of your timeline.  However, that's a bit clunky if you are quickly going between different types of clips.  That's what the preview window is for.  

For example, let's say you have concert footage that is multicam and you are editing a documentary about that concert/group, intercut with interviews that are also mutlicam, and of course B-roll.  In that scenario, you would not want your program monitor to be on multicam view, you'd want to see composite view, while you make editing choices by previewing in the preview monitor.  However, the preview monitor will not let you toggle off FX.  If playback is fine, then this is no worry just leave the effects on.  However, if you need to lighten the load for your processor (concert has 6 4k/6k cameras), then even with proxies, the playback will not be ok with effects on each camera.  My current project is also BRAW mostly, with upwards of 6-8 camera angles for some of the content.  I've created proxies beause Premiere is not all that efficient with BRAW, especially with that many cameras and that level of resolution.  Even with proxies toggled, playback is not good if there are effects on all of those angles.  

I guess you are ultimately just saying that I need to do all of the work in the program monitor, including selecting my material.  That just doesn't make sense though.  Imagine you have a 2 hour concert with 6 cameras and you want to use excerpts from it throughout your doc timeline.  How are you previewing that concert to decide what portions you want to include in that master timeline if not in the preview window?  

Maybe you are only speaking of editing something like a concert, which is multicam and continueos from start to finish.  You can just drag the whole multicam timeline into a master timeline and start editing in the program window.  That's fine, but I'm not seeing how that works for more complex timelines described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I do appreciate that quick answer.  Hope I didn't come across as ungrateful!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not at all!

In fact, it was a wonderful and informative post. We all do about everything differently. I've talked with a group of editors, all taught by the 'senior' editor in their shop, and they noted they all worked differently, even having all learned from one person.

So it was fascinating seeing what you're working with, and how you're working with it. And you're right, I do the multicam interview say as one block ... then edit other things. Very differently than your process. And I can see why you do it the way you do it. I presume by "preview" monitor you mean the Source monitor.

And yea, that will typically show the 'original' or 'source' state of the media. Which in your case is a right royal pain.

Have you tried working one sequence in the Reference monitor while another is in the Program monitor? That migh help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines