• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro highlights/chapters not showing up in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoPro has a highlight feature ! that marks a specific point in the video so it's easier to find it later in editing. Problem is it's not showing up anywhere in Premiere. I've tried every version since CS5 to the latest CC.

The markers/highlights show up if I play the file with MPHC, and are shown as chapters. But Premiere doesnt seem to get them from the file. Is there a way to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My guess is that the way the Highlights are placed in the metadata is not standard to the way Premiere uses them to define chapter points.

Can you see your highlights in the metadata panel in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no relevant info in the metadata. Cant see any chapters, markings or timecodes related to my markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so i've been chatting with a GoPro engineer, and indeed, Highlight data is not stored as chapter data.

But they pointed me to a solution using ffmpeg. When remuxing the video through ffmpeg, ffpeg will convert highlights as chapter points.

Remuxing won't reencode your video file, so you won't have a quality loss, it will just rewrite the metadata.

Once ffmpeg is installed, you can use this command line: "ffmpeg -i "your_file.mp4" -codec copy "your_file_chapter.mp4"

It will create a new video file (a duplicate, so that's why you need to give it a new name) that you'll be able to import in Premiere Pro.

Try that on one video and tell us if it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt seem to work. ffmpeg shows the chapters

Output #0, mp4, to 'test2.MP4':

Metadata:

major_brand     : mp41

minor_version   : 538120216

compatible_brands: mp41

firmware        : HD5.02.02.51.00

encoder         : Lavf57.83.100

Chapter #0:0: start 1.067000, end 3.286000

Chapter #0:1: start 3.286000, end 5.338000

Chapter #0:2: start 5.338000, end 7.774000

Chapter #0:3: start 7.774000, end 8.832000

But this info is not in Premiere (or I cant find it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what if you do the same thing but add the -map_chapters parameter in ffmpeg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using

ffmpeg.exe -i "test.MP4" -codec copy "test3.MP4" -map_chapters 1

But it doesnt seem to help or change anything. Im probably not using it correctly but putting it before the output returns some errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think they were designed for other then the Gopro app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They where not, but their metadata track schema is open: GitHub - gopro/gpmf-parser: Parser for GPMF™ formatted telemetry data used within GoPro® cameras. Highlights are in the udta, in the hmmt atom.

Alas, I'm not familiar with the -map_chapters parameter in ffmpeg, so I guess I'm beaten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They worked with Premiere with the first FW im 100% positive but I cant find older footage to test. Im pretty sure it worked because I tested it first day I got the camera and I had markers on the timeline.

I usually have to sort through 15-30 hours of footage every month and its pretty time consuming and annoying. Is there any other way of making them work besides the ffmpeg thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cadanac,

Find a way to work around this issue yet? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After further talking with the GoPro software team in Paris, turns out that if you highlight during capture, the highlights will be in the correct metadata, but if you do it afterwards, it will be stored in Gopro own metadata track that is harder to extract to third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update a year later: neither gopro nor adobe have fixed this. Hilights are present in the files (HMMT) and can be read by other software (like mphc) but not by Premiere.

Now I have to learn programming to write myself a program to extract the hilights and then make them usable in Premiere. This is seriously annoying as hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Cadanac!

Is there any progress on this issue? I'm suffering from this problem as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines