• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro proxy footage squashed in the source and program monitor

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with viewing my GoPro Hero 7 footage in Premiere Pro CC v.13 on Mac. It looks OK at first, but once the proxies are attached the picture is squashed, as in the screenshot below. The image should be 4x3 but for some reason Premiere makes the frame 4x3 and then adds letterboxing as well which squashes the image. 

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 15.43.43.png

I have the source viewer set to 'fit'. If I change it to 100% it zooms in and cuts off the top and bottom of the frame. The same happens in the program monitor once the footage is on the timeline. I've tried creating 'new sequence from clip' but the same thing happens.

I want to use the footage in a project with other footage and codecs. These are the ingest settings I use to create proxies:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 93.28 MB

Image Size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 25.00

Total Duration: 00:01:18:10

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Alpha: None

Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

I know that the Hero 7 uses the new H.265 codec so I tried re-ingesting the footage using the 1280-720 GoPro CineForm setting, but I still have the same problem.

I don't think the actual file is changed - it exports at the correct ratio, but I just can't view it properly when editing.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the camera original in either the timeline or the browser and choose properties and check the pixel aspect ratio and make sure it matches that of the proxy file.  If they do not match, you may be able to modify the proxy clips to use the correct pixel aspect ratio.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pixel aspect ration is 1.0 in the proxy, the original file and the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Creating proxies from GoPro 4k 4000x3000 mp4.  Proxy is fine Premiere just doesn't display it correctly in the preview window.  Adobe please confirm and fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, after hours and hours of banging my head against the Google and trying everything I could think of, here's what works for me.

I have VERTICAL 4:3 4K footage from a GoPro Hero 9.  I'm trying to make smaller ProRes 444 Proxies for editing in Premiere Pro.  I had to create encoding presets with the width:height dimensions SWAPPED.  So, for my 4000:3000 GoPro video, I created an encoding preset for width 750 x height 1000 (same aspect ratio).

When I did this, Premiere would render the proxy correctly (not squashed) when I used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, despite creating proxies per the workaround above, I still got squashed proxy playback in Premiere - but only when preview/playback was at 1/4 resolution.  Switching playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/8 looks normal - things are only squashed in 1/4. 🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

life saver - only look normal for me in full...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines