• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic overlays causing color issues on export

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the newest update, I've been having problems with graphic overlays. This is for text layers and pre-rendered AE graphics with alpha. They appear fine when previewing in the timeline in Premiere, but once exported (as .mp4), there is a noticeable color and contrast change on the entire image once the overlay appears on screen. I also tried rendering in .mov with the same result.

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color management settings are you using on those in Ae?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to look at that again, but I have the same result with just a simple text graphic layer in Premiere. It's the same whether exporting from Premiere or sending it to Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh.

So you create a graphic using the graphics workspace in Premiere, export, and it's different but only when the graphic is on-screen?

I will ask ... have you re-imported the exported clip into Premiere and checked them?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it looks fine when played from the timeline in Premiere, but has the issue on the exported video. The color quality changes only while the text graphic is up. I did a test and re-imported that video to Premiere and the issue is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a common thing, to be mild ... but would sure be infuriating. Trying to think of something to try that may have some effect.

First, if you're running a dedicated GPU card, go to the Project settings dialog and set that for software only, cutting out the card. Try an export and see if there's a change. If so, it's something with the GPU, maybe a driver issue.

Next, go to the Preferences settings, General tab, and see what you are doing for Display Color Management and for Extended dynamic range monitoring. Test changing them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help! I will have to try adjusting a few settings to see if anything works. It's hard to say because Adobe and NVIDIA both updated within the last couple of weeks. I use Premiere for new YouTube videos every Friday and I've had this problem for the last two uploads. I had to leave out the text graphics just to get the videos published. They weren't absolutely necessary, but still, I use them often to clarify certain topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Adobe and NVIDIA both updated within the last couple of weeks.

Mind you that if you are on Windows the "latest" Nvidia drivers are old compared to if you go directly to Nvidias site. Worth trying: Download Drivers - Nvidia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that including the GeForce Experience app? I use that to keep me up to date on the latest drivers (currently version 446.14 released on 5/27)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, GeForce Experience app is always included in Nvidias drivers. 446.14 is the Game drivers and it can be worth to try the Studio Driver, 442.92.

• Or, go to Sequence Settings and un-check "Composite in Linear..."
  • Or, change the Encoding Settings in the Export Settings dialog from Hardware Encoding to Software Encoding.
  • Or, go to File > Project Settings > General and set the Renderer to "MPE Software Only"
  • Or, give more details such as render settings, codec used and other settings, from After Effects, Depth setting in After Effects, iow 8-bit/16-bit or 32-bit, Exact version of Premiere Pro, Sequence Settings, source media properties, screen dump of the render settngs. (See the attached image)

CDLX.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I did try those first two options previously and had the same result. For now, I've had to export it as quicktime, then re-import that file, insert it into the sequence and export that as an .mp4. (I'm on a PC so it's easier to have it as an .mp4) At least there's a new update as of today, so maybe that will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a good fix for this? I'm noticing the same issue now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else with issue...after spending 2 hours with tech support who was absolutely no help, I was able to fix mine by trial and error. When exporting, under the video tab and encoding settings - change the PERFORMANCE to "Software Encoding". I have no clue what that actually does, but it fixed this exact issue for me. I had no issues with the 2020 verison, and it wasn't until they upgraded me to the 2021 version that I started having problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While waiting on hold for a tech support rep I cannot hear, I figured out this issue with some troubleshooting.

defaultxkuj2cvzlr4g is kind of right.

My first breakthrough was exporting directly from Premiere. I always render with Encoder, habit from batch rendering. I much prefer the speed of the GPU accellerated rendering but for longer videos it always errors out with a generic code. So, in the drop-down menu at the bottom the queue pane, I have the "software only" selection made for the renderer.

queue.PNG

But when I went to export from Premiere, a setting I had fogotten about was in my face. In the export settings, there too is a setting where you select hardware/gpu or software only. It's in the "encoding settings" under the video tab.

performance.PNG

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THEY BOTH MATCH! Once I did that.... BAM! All fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me while dealing with a different issue: exporting a project with keyframing on several opacity masks. 

I've encountered this problem on export in previous versions, but the 2021 version seemed particularly bad. Everything looks good on the timeline, but upon export, my video would be full of glitches, clips out of sync, and other maddening problems. I couldnt find anything online about opacity keyframes, so thought I'd comment here for anyone else dealing with that - switching to software encoding seemed to do the trick. 

Another solution I've found to a myriad of problems like the ones above, is to export as a PNG sequence, rather than using any of the video codecs. You can choose the preset with alpha if you have transparencies you wish to preserve in the video.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 1.10.10 PM.png

This will produce a folder of images - one for every frame of your video, which you can then reimport into the timeline,  re-sync the sound and export from there. (To import, go into the png sequence folder, select the first png, and check "image sequence" (see screenshot, in which my many many attempts at finalizing this project will probably be a familiar sight to some of you lol):

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 1.06.09 PM.png

It's a roundabout, kind of clunky way of doing things, but has its advantages, especially for long clips. You can identify which frame(s) may be tripping up your exports, as it spits out the frames one by one, rather than the all-or-nothing approach with video codecs (the overnight export which fails at 3am, anyone?!) so you'll still have a partial export in tact. You can also use the individual PNGs to patch up issues on your timeline - even bring single frames into photoshop to clean up things up as a last resort.

Hope this helps someone! This approach was an absolute lifesaver with a recent stop motion / rotoscoping project which nearly killed me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never been more appreciative of a forum thread, thankyou so much for finding this out, this problem was ruining my day!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone- The software encoding trick didn't work and I didn't try the clunky workaround mentioned above- I was only having issue with one layer of the text so I deleted and added a new graphic as it's own layer (so like two pink clips stack- one on V1 and one on V2) and that did the trick but also like wtf. I didn't really "resolve" the issue but this can be a solution as well. Hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines