• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics Issue on my macbook pro 2016 when using premiere

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I updated to macOS 10.12.2, the flickering issue still exist...

Apple claimed that the graphics issue will be fixed in macOS 10.12.2, but it seems not.

Here is the situation when I use premiere 2017.

Compuer config:

Intel Core i7 2.9 Ghz

Radeon Pro 460 / Intel HD Graphics 530

20161213_090627.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

I too can confirm the latest MacOS 10.12.3 update fixed the issue. Let it be noted, I've only edited a single 11min video in 4k, but, it was while using OpenCL with not a single issue.

From what I'm reading in this thread, it seems Apple and Adobe have fixed the issue. THANK YOU!

As an alternative note, using OpenCL didn't really realize any significant performance improvements over Metal. But, this was only a basic edit with no effects whatsoever.

I'm running the 15" 2.9GHz Radeon 460/4GB...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mrjonkane,

Now that an official Apple update has come out mentioning the issues with Premiere... what I'd like to know if you can find out Kevin-Monahan is whether that's intended to be 'the' fix or is it only part of it... i.e. is Adobe yet to release an update to make the two work nicely or has Apple made all the changes at their end to work with the existing version of Premiere?

• We do not announce any releases in advance, so I can't say if we're planning yet another patch. Sorry.
  • I assume you know that we released our patch a few days ago, and now we have one for OS X we have been working on with Apple mentioning Premiere Pro. As I understand it, your (and others with 2016 MBP's) issue should be fixed.
  • If you are between major projects, please update Premiere Pro and OS X, then you should be clear of the bug.
  • If you are still experiencing issues after applying these updates, please let us know by filing a bug.

I have not received any "official statement" from product management other than the link to the OS X announcement of the Premiere Pro fix. I will see if I can get them to release a blog post or the like, but that may take a little time due to circumstances beyond my control. Sorry if I can't make that happen right away, but I'll continue pressing for it.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin-Monahan​ - I understand... just wasn't sure about the last Premiere update because unlike this Apple update which mentions resolving issues with Premiere, the Adobe update/patch did not mention anything about it.

I have both updates now and am doing some editing as we speak... no glitches so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mrjonkane,

Thanks Kevin-Monahan - I understand... just wasn't sure about the last Premiere update because unlike this Apple update which mentions resolving issues with Premiere, the Adobe update/patch did not mention anything about it

Sorry about that. A certain order of operations must be followed when working with partners on a fix. This includes the timing of various communications that can—from time to time—affect the customer experience negatively, unfortunately. I do my best given certain constraints, like NDA, company policy, and government restrictions related to commerce.

Please let us know if you experience any negative issues.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a word of warning to everyone... I think the problem really lies in the Macbook Pro GPU. It's the same kind of faults that I was getting with my MAcbookPro 2011. Overheating n funky visuals. Eventually the GPU would die completely and be unusable. Which was an admitted fault on the Apple side (later happened so people got exchanges, refunds and free repairs). Apple really skimp on Graphics side of things, ever wondered why games look so bad on the newest MacBook Pro? (I installed steam and a few games the other day and was appalled by the visuals - on a brand new $5,500 AUD laptop) Bit of a joke really.

MY question to Kevin (which I asked multiple times) 🙂

Given the way Mac is looking more to consumer market, (and the faults in this thread with new MBP) do you recommend it's more cost  effective and better to spend the kind of money we're spending on macs but on PCS where you obviously get a lot more bang for buck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Kevin's position, you're probably not going to get that sort of recommendation one way or the other out of him. He's not in the sort of position to freely give those sorts of opinions. And didn't you just answer your own question lol? If you're saying Apple has abandoned the pro market and you get more bang for your buck in the Windows sector, then isn't the answer right there? I still have a Mac and love it, but I think it all comes down to personal preference. Do you drive a Toyota or a Ford? Do you drink Coke or Pepsi? Sure, some people might call Apple a Pinto and some Windows PCs a Ferrari, but that's their opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey SammayBoy,

Just a word of warning to everyone... I think the problem really lies in the Macbook Pro GPU. It's the same kind of faults that I was getting with my MAcbookPro 2011.

I wrote in one of my earlier posts about how important it is to keep an eye on your GPU and how it can heat up and cause system issues. Both Macs and PCs have the potential for the issue, but Macs are susceptible because of the increasingly smaller case sizes while people still operate them in the same relatively warm environments. Computers like it cold. Ever go to a data center? Something tells me you have! 😉

Given the way Mac is looking more to consumer market, (and the faults in this thread with new MBP) do you recommend it's more cost effective and better to spend the kind of money we're spending on macs but on PCS where you obviously get a lot more bang for buck?

You have to do your own thinking on this. Look down your own road. Are you heavily invested in Apple technology as it is? How about your clients? Do you work with freelancers that are Mac oriented? If so, a MacBook Pro might still be a viable option for you. If you are not invested in Apple tech so much, a WIN laptop setup might be more advantageous.

I'm heavily influenced by my workplace, habits, colleagues, and my upbringing. I am a native son of Cupertino, CA where I went to high school. Jobs and Woz went to Homestead High and I went to Cupertino High—crosstown rivals. Macs were my first computers. I saw one of the first audio waveforms drawn on a Mac SE screen back in college radio in the 80s. I have even worked at Apple on two releases of Final Cut Studio as a tech writer. So. I'm pretty much in the Apple camp.

That said, I am well aware that a good number of my colleagues are beginning to lean towards a WIN system because of the very reasons you just mentioned.

I am also at a crossroads as Adobe is going to buy me new equipment. I am getting a MacBook Pro, I've decided. I need a machine with similar components as many of you do. Currently, I'm using a 3 year old MacBook Pro with an NVIDIA GPU for casual testing. I also have a WIN box next to me with a NVIDIA K2200...my beast.

Sorry I can't give you any definitive advice. Up to you, my friend.

Kind regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up schmollywood​ updating now with bated breath!

Interesting that it also mentions improved graphics switching too... after starting to use the graphics card switcher app from gfx.io I mentioned a few posts back it was certainly helping somehow even if I left it in dynamic switching mode... it's almost like because it was monitoring the switching it was making it more stable?!

Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Schmollywood,

Lets hope the update is not the same version as the latest beta (16D30a) since that didn't fix the issue completely. Once again no word from Adobe yet if this is supposed to be the promised fix.

According to the announcement from Apple, this update should resolve the issue. If it does not, please report back by filing a bug.

Lets hope the update is not the same version as the latest beta (16D30a) since that didn't fix the issue completely.

Please see if the update works for you, and then report back if it does not. Thanks.

Once again no word from Adobe yet if this is supposed to be the promised fix. Anything Kevin-Monahan ?

We recently released an update that I can report is very stable with numerous bug fixes. Along with this OS X update, (which I assume has fixes related to Adobe video tools), you should see improvements in performance and stability, including the issue indicated in this thread.

Please report back if you are experiencing GPU issues, whatsoever.

Hope that helps,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please someone report back with good news!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also got this feedback from Apple, any comments to add from Adobe ?

Capture d’écran 2017-01-23 à 21.40.19.png

is the problem FIXED ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SamPiranha,

is the problem FIXED ?

If you are between major projects, please update OS X and see if it resolves your issue. It should!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now I'm very curious… Hopefully everything will be fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue plus a battery that would die in less than an hour being off of the charger as well as constant freezing of the entire system. Apple is sending out a new system for me to replace the "lemon" one I got. Mine was going into the screen - colorful - glitches - freezing & locking down - the entire system not only in Adobe, but also in Safari and Mail. Fingers crossed for the resolve soon. For us graphic and web designers (and IT folk), these systems are too darn expensive (not to mention our expensive programs we buy through Adobe) to be out of commission. Holding my breath with all fingers and toes crossed!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi t3thinking,

Sorry this happened to you. Please make sure you update OS X when your machine is returned to you. There are some fixes in the update that should resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, I can confirm the AWFUL Metal bug which made the Program Monitor unusable while using Metal is gone. The OpenCL crashes for me were intermittent so I can't say for sure, but so far so good, and I'm going to go ahead and guess that the worst is behind us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback.

At the very least, I can confirm the AWFUL Metal bug which made the Program Monitor unusable while using Metal is gone.

Yes, the OS X update should have also fixed some issues with Metal GPU acceleration. That wasn't mentioned in the press release, but I can confirm that there were fixes made along these lines.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news... I can fairly confidently say that todays offical macOS update 10.12.3 has fixed the glitches and crashes for me. After editing a number of projects today including some 4K timelines with grading and LUT's I've had no issues. Previously Premiere was crashing after a few minutes of that workflow... unlike some who have only had this intermittently it was constantly crashing from the get go for me so this is a great relief.

Touch wood!

I had taken the 30 days trial of Final Cut Pro and started getting used to a few things and loving the render speed but now I'm back in Premiere again I feel like I make that time back up with how much quicker I can do simple things in Premiere. It's just more intuitive to me.

Hope this has resolved it for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have to download the last Apple update right ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too can confirm the latest MacOS 10.12.3 update fixed the issue. Let it be noted, I've only edited a single 11min video in 4k, but, it was while using OpenCL with not a single issue.

From what I'm reading in this thread, it seems Apple and Adobe have fixed the issue. THANK YOU!

As an alternative note, using OpenCL didn't really realize any significant performance improvements over Metal. But, this was only a basic edit with no effects whatsoever.

I'm running the 15" 2.9GHz Radeon 460/4GB...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Still have some problems with Metal.

Black rendering srceen.

GPU Radeon 450...

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi? Your Mac OS ver. 10.12.3 (16D32)? Premiere PRO? CC2017? What kind type of export format? Container & codec... You try Open CL Render engine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PGR78,

Still have some problems with Metal.

Black rendering srceen.

GPU Radeon 450...

Pierre

How about OpenCL? I would recommend OpenCL at this time for this GPU as the tech is further along with more RT GPU effects. However, you shouldn't be getting a black screen. What kind of footage is it? Which camcorder was it shot on? Any other system details you can give us? Have you updated Premiere Pro? Have you updated OS X?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin...

Thanks for your answer.

Open CL works very well. Metal as well, but in a new original project made with metal and not a converted on from open CL to Metal....

I m going to use Open CL on all my projects from now.

Everything seems to work without any problems since the last updates (OS X and Adobe).

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh i thought it was just me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines