Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

h.264 < > MP4

Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Most of the film work is for uploading to our Archive film libary on YouTube. .

All the film edits is done in Premiere Pro CS6. When the edits are complete I then Export > Media > H.264 . The preset is YouTube 1080p 29.97. The uploads are all MP4. 

I am having difficulty with a new assignment.

The request is for archival preservation. The request is for the films to be written to Blu-Ray/ M-Discs.
The software used to burn to disc is Cyberlink Power2Go. I am burning to Archival Gold DVD and to 25GB M-Disc. Over the weeks I have burned several hundred films. It is a huge collection. Many of the results are uploaded to YouTube. However the assignment is for physical distribution of the film materials.

To test the results after burning I play the films (Gold DVD/ Blu-Ray/M-disc) back on the Blu-Ray writer connected to the computer.  I do this on another computer. Then I test playing on a Blu-Ray writer connected to a television set. There are no playback issues be it a computer connect; be it a television connect. The discs play as expected.

These playable DVD-BluRay-MDiscs will be sent to various committees in our non-profit company. Each committee will receive a portable Blu-Ray player along with the playable discs.

I have several Blu-Ray players ready to distribute (all ONN product)  with the Discs. What happens is that the film (MP4) plays the video however there is no audio. What I have are hundreds of Gold DVDs and BluRay Discs that all play on computers and to televisions using Blu-Ray connected players. With the portables there is no audio.

Let me know if there is a remedy. Feeling completely stuck knowing not what to do.

Thanks

TOPICS
Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

As illustrated by the answers, not an easy question to sort without a lot of information. And thank you for providing so much information already. I'll emphasize some points already made:

Absolutely critical that we understand whether you have authored disks to play from BD disks etc, or whether you are burning archival files. Please provide a response to the question about the file structure you are seeing on the disk. Is it different for the different type disks?

Are the mp4 files you used

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is all ONN?

Make sure these portables have the latest firmware installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thanks for the comment. 

The player is ' ONN 11" Portable Blu-Ray/DVD Player w/ HDMI / USB / Ethernet ports '

I found the maker name it is 'Durabrand'

I then Googled ONN 11" Portable Blu-Ray/DVD Player blu-ray firmware download'
There was nothing useful other than a user manual....

The portable has a ethernet port thus possibly an upgrade.

What is needed is a firmwar/ upgrade source to do a firmware.

Thanks for any assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested the Blu-ray discs on other Blu-ray players to see if it works with other manufactures? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Blu-ray disc play on other players / player connected to TV/ player connected to computer.

On the portable the device plays video with no audio.

I am reading that portable Blu Ray players may not be compatible with MP4 files.

https://www.easefab.com/topic-mp4/play-mp4-on-dvd-player.html.

The files I burned to Disc using Cyberlink were all MP4 files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to break it down to manageable pieces.

media ( bd ) can be for storage of files ( data storage like text files, exe files, mp4, whatever ).

OR they can be used to BURN ( create ) MOVIES. In the case of DVD they would have vob files in the directory and a PLAYER will recognize that copyrighted ( dvd and bd are standardized and copyrighted software, I think bd is owned by sony ? ) stuff.

so you got two animals.

a) storage media

b) movie

I don't know of any bd players that recognize discs as storage media. they are not computers. they just play movies.

that's why you are reading that some players won't recognize mp4, cause that's just storage.

so, let's think about ONE mp4 file and how to distribute it to others as some kind of hard copy for archives.

How would you do that using your computer?  obviously you would use any media ( discs, thumbdrives, ssd drives, whatever ) and put it in the closet.

your choices:

buy laptops and send them with mp4 files on it.

buy thumbdrives and assume recipient has a computer to play the mp4 and store it on their own media.

tell whoever asked you for this stupid stuff to go fly a kite.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forgive me for being a simpleton. but i have a vivid imagination.

at first i thought you were trying to go horse back riding by putting a saddle on a pig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a difference between burning files onto disks as data disks and authoring. Authoring encodes to the specific bluray standard. Is it burning a folder structure onto the disks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if there is a remedy. Feeling completely stuck knowing not what to do.

Thanks

By @Ezad

Don´t just burn the files, you need to author the Blu-ray disc.

Burning files directly to a Blu-ray disc will give you compatible issues here and there, iow some players won´t playback the files correctly. When authoring a Blu-ray disc the files on the disc will be encoded to a standard that all Blu-ray players should be able to playback.

Authoring the disc will give you what you want but it will take longer time since you first will need to export using the H.264 exporter to a .mp4 for archiving and then export the same timeline using the H.264 Blu-ray exporter that will give you the files for authoring. You need to try if Cyberlink Power2Go accepts files exported by the H.264 Blu-ray exporter from Premiere Pro.

mp4 files are not Blu-ray compatible, so that´s the reason behind exporting twice. Yes, you can use those mp4 files and re-encode those to Blu-ray compatible files but you will loose quality, hence the recommendation of encoding twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be because of the way audio is connected and configured between the Players and the TV, try playing around with that. I remember long ago I used to have this problem, and tinckering with the audio setting either in the player and TV, would help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As illustrated by the answers, not an easy question to sort without a lot of information. And thank you for providing so much information already. I'll emphasize some points already made:

Absolutely critical that we understand whether you have authored disks to play from BD disks etc, or whether you are burning archival files. Please provide a response to the question about the file structure you are seeing on the disk. Is it different for the different type disks?

Are the mp4 files you used still mp4 files on the disk? With the same names? Or what? If "authored," the media files will be something like ".ts". 

Some BD players will handle actual media files (such as mp4) and not only the BD compatible file types. That is one source of potential issues with the portable.

My son's portable player was always my go to for testing event DVDs back in the day - if they played there, they'd play anywhere! So I rarely got complaints about disk problems. But they often had various problems that did not show up anywhere else.

Re Christian's point about audio connection, is this a portable player with a screen? If so, is there a setting to send the audio out a connector vs playing from the machine?

I wonder what format the audio stream type is. I assume these are files with simple stereo? Or is it 5.1?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

I did the research. Portable to play needs the disc to be authored. One authoring program for example would be Adobe Encore. Portable cannot read and play a MP4 file. It is a 'data file'. Thus the MP4 material would need to be authored and as Stan pointed out there are files on the Blu Ray disc as with TS.

I downloaded from Wondershare a application that burns to 25GB disc menus chapters and so forth. That material, the MP4 files, did play on the portable. 

Thus there are choices to burn such as data material and then authored material.

Thanks for everyones comments. Another learning experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines