Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Hardware encoding Issue on h.264 video export: Premiere Pro 2022 on 2021 Imac w/ m1 Chip

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated premiere pro 2022 on my 2021 imac (m1 chip processor).

I have never had this issue on the 2021 version of premiere, but now when I try export a h.264 video from timeline like I've always done, I get an error message about compiling the video.

I have tried all these suggestions already:

- restarted the computer

- made a new sequence 

- made a new project 

*none of these worked. 

Also for some reason after I updated premiere, I can no longer click on the drop-down box for the video renderer settings in my project settings. The box that reads "mercury playback engine ...." is grayed-out and unable to be selected or reconfigured. From what I've gathered, this means premiere is not able to read my mac's GPU maybe?

H.264 videos will export fine when I select "software encoding" on the export settings of my project. But I'd like to be able to use the Hardware encoding. Any help figuring out how to fix the issue of hardware from an M1 chip apple machine not being able to work with premiere pro (and the 2022 version of Pr specifically) would be IMMENSELY appreciated. I am losing my mind trying to figure this out.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We can get this checked. Are you getting the error for any specific H.264 export, or all of them? Also, if possible please share a screenshot of the complete error message that you are getting at the time of export. We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. I am getting the error message for all H.264 exports when I try to enable hardware encoding. If I check software encoding only, I am able to export fine. Given that I have a 2021 iMac, my hope is to be able to make use of the hardware encoding. The root question and issue I am wondering about is this: Is the integrated GPU on the M1 chip in the new apple computers able to interface with the latest version of Premiere software to allow for hardware encoding?

It has been difficult to find solid information on whether or not hardware encoding is compatible in Premiere with the integrated GPU configuration on the M1 chip. The sense I get from the scattered information I've come across in my digging is that it is perhaps not currently compatible. One indication that premiere and the M1 GPU are not currently compatible is that when I try to click on the "Video Rendering and Playback" drop-down menu in my project settings in Premiere, the drop-down menu is grayed-out, as in, I am unable to click on it to view any of the options for GPU acceralation/configuration with Premiere. I read somewhere that this means that Premiere is not in communication with my computer's GPU, but was unable to find an explanation or resolution for the issue.

So just to recap my specific issue:

1) is it even possible to enable hardware encoding between the 2021 iMac M1/GPU and the latest Premiere 2022 software ... and

2) if it is possible, what do I need to do to get premiere to recognize and make use of the M1 GPU on my Mac? 

I am attaching to screenshots to illustrate the issue. The first is the error message I receive whenever I try to export an H.264 with hardware encoding enabled. The second screenshot is of my project settings window which shows the video renderer and playback menu in its grayed-out, un-editable appearance, which is what I come across every time I click on my project settings.

Thank you for help and followup,

Cameron

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem since the update! Commenting so they know your not alone in this issue. I have also done my best to resolve on my own to no avail.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem since the update! Commenting so they know your not alone in this issue. I have also done my best to resolve on my own to no avail. What should we do?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm also experience the same problem

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines