Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded to a new gaming laptop with the following specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

16 GB RAM

When I try to export my project as an MP4 file, under Encoding Settings in Performance, the box is grayed out and "Software Encoding" is selected by default. I'm not able to change it and it says Hardware encoding is not available and that my hardware or OS requirements might be out of date. My Intel does support Intel Quick Sync and I'm not sure why these options are not available. Please let me know what I can do to get these settings on here. Thanks for reading!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Someone is not supporting nVidia encoding in 2020?
Taking into accound Premiere has serious problems with iPhone videos, I'm not even sure why I'd need that program now: it's unable both to decode and encode videos. I wasn't expected that from "video editing software".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes this is true

I have i9 7920x and gtx 1070 and no hardware accelartion in the latest version of adobe premiere pro ? I cannot belive this

Adobe is forcing us to have a lower proccesor that because is a contract with intel to promote this kind of stuff ? but about the usesrs that have those cpus 24/48 threats ?

some of the best software and no cuda accelartion unless you have a poor cpu, some of us have paid 2000$ for a intel high end cpu and another 1000$ for gpu and we don't have hardware accelaration

good adobe good :))))

Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME Processor Intel® Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto Memory (part number) G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34 [Trident Z RGB] F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR Graphics Card #1 NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition Graphics Card #2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB Graphics Card #3 Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB Sound Card Sound Blaster Z Monitor IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms WhiteFreeSync - disabled, Display port Storage #1 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS Storage #2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB CPU Cooler CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Case Cooler Master: HAF X Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850w Keyboard normal usb benq Mouse Razer Taipan Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 digital OS Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date Network Router :Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I210 Accessory #1 LG OLED55C8PLA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont have hardware acceleration because your processor does not have Quick Sync on board.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126240/intel-core-i9-7920x-x-series-processor-1...

Graphics processor N/A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I know but this emberasing because the gpu should decode not the cpu...in the previsious version was working good

When we will have this feature of gpu decoding back ?

Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME Processor Intel® Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto Memory (part number) G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34 [Trident Z RGB] F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR Graphics Card #1 NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition Graphics Card #2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB Graphics Card #3 Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB Sound Card Sound Blaster Z Monitor IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms WhiteFreeSync - disabled, Display port Storage #1 Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS Storage #2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB CPU Cooler CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Case Cooler Master: HAF X Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850w Keyboard normal usb benq Mouse Razer Taipan Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 digital OS Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date Network Router :Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I210 Accessory #1 LG OLED55C8PLA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you dont have an intel gpu you never had the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for gpu amd/nvidia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the post again. amd/nvidia is not for hardware encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's Adobe developers need to re-read the post again, starting from the first message dating 2018, and finally understand that we have GPUs available for like 10 years already.

Can we hear from Adobe team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this thread has wound on, it is clear that as expected, many do not understand the admittedly confusing pair of "hardware" and "software" encoding items in Premiere. And therefore get all upset about what they've misunderstood. Yea, it's confusing.

Hardware/Software Encoding in the Export Settings Dialog Summary Box

First ... the Export Dialog's hardware/software encoding message in the summary section has nothing whatever to do with any GPU or its use ... period.

This line ... shown below underlined in red:

Export with Intel QuickSync Software only.PNG

ONLY refers to whether or not your computer's CPU is an Intel CPU with QuickSync both physically present and enabled in the BIOS. If so, then your Intel CPU can and will use the internal hardware of that CPU to do H.264 encoding. It is similar to the same sub-chip in cameras that does the specialized math/formula H.264 long-GOP encoding. Some Intel CPUs have that extra bit of hardware built into the CPU. Some don't. This again ... only refers to the presence and active ability of  QuickSync within the CPU itself.

That is an Intel-only item, not anything "natively" Adobe by design or function. AT ALL. It is merely a polite notification about your CPU's capabilities for that particular H.264 encoding process. And note, this is ONLY used for H.264 encodes. It has nothing whatever to do with encodes in any other format.

And for some laptop computers that do have both a QuickSync-capable CPU and a factory-included discrete GPU card, the manufacturer disables QuickSync in the BIOS.

Premiere Application GPU Use Settings in the Project Settings Dialog

The use of a discrete GPU "card" in Premiere is set in the Project Settings dialog, the Mercury Acceleration section. Options are:

• "software only" meaning that the program will not use any GPU (if present on the computer);
  • "CUDA", available if you have a recent-generation Nvidia card (a few 900-cards, all 1,000 series and newer);
  • "Metal" for AMD cards particularly on Mac OS;
  • "OpenCL" for AMD cards on older Macs and some PCs.

All video post apps are coded for different priorities/processes for different parts of the typical computer system. Premiere uses the CPU as the heart of the system, especially for encoding, and that central unit calls upon the other subsystems as it is coded to use and apply them.

Premiere uses the GPU for major frame-resizing (think 4k on UHD timeline and Warp Stabilizer), color/tonal corrections (think Lumetri), and a growing list of other things. Go to your Effects panel, enlarge it to full screen, and click the "Accelerated" lego-block icon at the top. Now all GPU-accelerated effects will be shown ... including lens distortion corrections, some blurs, PIP, and nearly everything in the Video effects list and the Transitions. The vast majority of  video effects are now GPU accelerated. In other words ... those effects use the GPU.

That list has grown dramatically in the last couple years, btw ...

For basic encoding without using any of that laundry list of effects ... that is left to the CPU. For encoding with things from that vast list, the CPU is still the heart of the job, and will call on the other subsystems of the computer (including the GPU) as it needs them at that moment.

As to why the Adobe engineers haven't assigned basic encoding to the GPU ... my guess is they figure a lot of the users are using GPU accelerated effects on their exports. Which ... depending on the effects used ... may or may not peg the GPU for the things already assigned to GPUs.

I tend to do a lot of color correction, resizing, and transitions. My GPU is at times pegged, and and other times, idling. I occasionally have situations where the CPU needs to wait for GPU work, and so the GPU is pegged but CPU isn't.

All of these apps "balance" things differently. If you want the "balance" in Premiere to be different, the place to suggest that is the site for communications to the engineers ... which is the UserVoice website/system. All postings there are viewed by at least one engineer, and they are also collated and sent to the upper managers who determine budgets and such.

If you do so, it's a good idea to post back here with a link to your post on the UserVoice system so others can go "upvote" it. 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Most of the encoding is offloaded to Media Encoder these days as I understand.

2. As I understand that "user voice" is completely useless, since I've seen this question over the forums from like last 4-6 years as well, and it's either never was answered or it was explained that "it's impossible". Either way, I think that's the task of developers to implement features, and not just sitting and listening to "voices" for 10 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they don't care about us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That motherboard, plus any CPUs at all whatsoever that are compatible with its socket, do not have integrated on-CPU Intel HD or UHD Graphics at all whatsoever, and thus do not support QuickSync at all whatsoever. And since Adobe's implementation of hardware encoding supports only Intel QuickSync, you are permanently stuck with software-only encoding.

Encoding with a discrete GPU requires a different protocol- something that Adobe does not currently support natively. You will need a third-party plugin in order to enable encoding through a discrete GPU.

I'm sorry to say this, but that's what it is at the present time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As to why the Adobe engineers haven't assigned basic encoding to the GPU ... my guess is they figure a lot of the users are using GPU accelerated effects on their exports. Which ... depending on the effects used ... may or may not peg the GPU for the things already assigned to GPUs."

I don't think that's it.  Adobe has steadfastly refused to use hardware encoding on the GPUs since they've been made aware of it several years ago.  NVidia's hardware encoder is on a completely different level than Intel's, but Adobe won't code to it.  AMD's isn't as good as NVidia's from a speed perspective, but is catching up.  Both produce stunning results in a fraction of the time it takes to do software encoding.  CPUs are just completely inefficient when it comes to encoding h.264 or h.265.

The code is there for Adobe to do it.  The APIs are freely and readily available from both AMD and NVidia.  This goes for both encoding and decoding; the GPUs are infinitely faster at both than the CPUs are.  And they do it without affecting other aspects of the GPU, as well.  The hardware encoder on the GPUs has no affect on the shaders (eg: CUDA cores, et al) that are used for the rest of the video processing in Premiere.  Meaning you can hardware encode an h.264 while you're scaling it and applying other accelerated effects; it won't matter one bit.

And Neil, I appreciate your fondness for the UserVoice, but in this case it's a "go nowhere" path.  I've done the UserVoice thing.  I have a more direct path to Adobe's developers as well, and have submitted a request for hardware encoding/decoding.  It's gone nowhere.  They simply don't have the resources (or interest) to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) MediaEncoder (Me) is the 'extended' and separable encoding engine for the Adobe digital video apps. You can run either Premiere or AfterEffects without Me installed. It is a completely separate entity. As such there are options within Me that are not available in Premiere. It isn't just a section of Premiere. One problem many users have is they don't realize the full potential and uses of Me as a stand-alone program.

2) Puzzling reaction. The UserVoice site is the primary input source to communicate problems to the engineering team. (As opposed to this site, which is primarily a user-to-user service.)

Note: that means it is an input service for the engineers. NOT an information source for users. I think your expectations are simply out of whack with the way their system works. And it does work. Not always perfectly nor as fast in every detail, but ... in general, it does work.

Where so many run into ... conceptual difficulties? ... is in thinking they are getting the same performance and issues as everyone else using the app around the world. Which to me is a bizarre approach, but one I recognize is perhaps most common.

Premiere is used daily by many thousands of people world-wide, the widest array of gear/media/workflows out there. Resolve is trying to duplicate this, and gee ... as they've left their coccoon behind, is having more issues also. I work with a lot of colorists who are Resolve-base, and they HATE that Resolve is being developed as a one-stop app as it's screwing up their work much more than it used to.

The vast majority of Premiere users are working away without issue. Some users are geting very annoying issues, and some are getting hammered by something. So ... depending on which category any one user falls into, the tendency is to think your issues are universal. From "this is wonderful, what are they complaining about?" to "this is the biggest suckiest mess on my computer!". And ... for any one user, either or something in-between can be accurate. Yea, for some users, it is a big sucky mess.

There's no way the development team can have enough in-house computers to test out the thousands of variables users will encounter. When they can't ... bugs can get out there that they have no way of replicating in-house, and so for that they NEED input from as many users with troubles as possible.

That is what the UserVoice site is for ... and I've talked with one of the engineers who reads every flipping post. His biggest complaint? Nowhere NEAR enough detail for most problems posted for the engineers to even have a clue how to try and replicate the problem. "X is broke ... fix it!" is not at all useful. "I've an XYS computer with Q, R, and D hardware added running Pr and simulateously Word, Opera, and X; when I use V media and apply N effect playback does a jitter-hop." gives them enough information to try and chase something down.

It also means the user may get an email or private message directly from the engineering staff, as they tend to communicate directly with individual users filing posts rather than do a reply to the post itself on UV. I've had several comments from other users who were shocked that they got a message from an engineer. Well ... yea, on looking at their UV post, I could see where the engineer would have assumed this user was worth asking questions about the difficulties they were having.

And the last thing about UserVoice ... Adobe's upper managers live by metrics. That is one of my ... issues ... with their corporate system, but that is the way they work. One of their main tools for gathering metrics on both user issues by issue and by numbers (in percentages across the user base) of users is the UserVoice system.

They decide budgets by metrics. UserVoice gives them metrics used for deciding budgets. Understand ... as a user that wants things changed, it is in your interest to get as many things posted on UV as possible, and to get other users to "upvote" things. That's just life while using Adobe products.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Feel" versus "Real" are so often different things ... whether swinging a golf club or participating on forums, or even using applications.

When the UserVoice system doesn't result in direct responses, naturally the "feel" is nothing happens. Which is not necessarily in the same ballpark nor universe as to what happens internally within their system. You can't see it ... but think about it. They are working with something designed to work on thousands of machines. The most important data for them at any one point is the data about the larger group function.

And ... priorities always being set that way ... one works down the list of problems affecting the user base.

Past that, you have to realize their data-set for how many users are working and doing X or Y and working fine or having Z issues is going to be different than ours as individual users ... or even for those in shops with 30 other people. Across the user base, that's not even peanuts. And they do have a whole series of routinely incoming data-points for user experience.

And you're right, in that budgets and sheer time for engineer's to attack something factor in here.

For all its sins, the UserVoice system is one of the main data-points the Adobe Corporate Upper Managers use to determine 'pain' points for users ... and therefore .. engineering budgets and priorities. And it's the only one we users can directly affect.

As I said in the other post, it's an input device, not a two-way communication device. And whether we like it or not that is the way their system operates. I'm not a great fan of their setup ... and I've told a number of staffers up to program managers that ... very bluntly ... and in-person at NAB and MAX. However, they're not nearly high enough up the chain to change this if they wanted to.

I would add, that I personally don't have a clue why people assume that if you can explain how something works, you like the way it works. I've never in any way shape or form even implied that I LIKE the way their system works. But ... I've talked with enough of the staff, including engineers who read all the blasted UserVoice filings ... to know that is how their system is set up. How well it "works" from our user perspective is a completely separate issue.

Whether it "does" anything is a wasted discussion. It is utilized internally as it is setup to be used. Whether we like it or hate it is completely irrelevant to the question of how it functions in reality. What it "feels" like to us is also irrelevant as to the question of ... is it utilized in-house. It is.

As to whether we, the users, like it ... or how it feels ... the most polite thing I can say is the UserVoice system is a vast improvement on the old Bug/Feature Request "page", from a user perspective. But ... understand, that's a relative statement, and my opinion of that  older"page" is not printable here. Not because I'm thinking vile thoughts, but just ... certain garbage is most accurately described in real language in certain words. That aren't allowed here.

And actually, the engineers and staffers do care a ton about this app. That I'll give full credit for. And they want it working as perfectly as possible for as many users as possible. Most seriously.

There are always two major issues that affect how any discussion on this app goes with direct discussions with the development staff ... first, much as I may like them personally ... oh wow, engineers are ... engineers. When an engineer sees a compelling logical reason that some "tool" should be built in X fashion ... getting them to appreciate that for the user of that tool, it really should be setup in a way that doesn't make sense to the engineer ... is a very, very hard sell.

That problem isn't because they don't care, but rather ... it's exacerbated because they do care passionately about the app. They just disagree on the logic of how X tool should be designed and laid out. Those ... are difficult discussions.

The second one ... is even when they agree with you, budgeted time to rebuild something that is working at least passably for a large percentage of users ... isn't easy to get. With so many serious problems always that need immediate attention.

And actually ... this is where the UserVoice becomes the user's best friend, as it is the one and only way "we" can get the data ... the metrics ... to the upper managers to spring some budget loose.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of mid-May 2020, you all can now rest easy:

Beginning with the released (non-beta) version of Premiere Pro 2020 14.2, released on May 19, 2020, Nvidia NVENC and AMD VCE/VCN support has been added to the Premiere Pro H.264 and HEVC encoders. So, if you have a gaming desktop or laptop that has either permanently disabled integrated graphics or no integrated graphics at all, then you can now use hardware encoding, provided that you have a driver version that is supported in Premiere Pro 2020 and you have a compatible discrete GPU (sorry, GeForce GT 1030 owners and owners of laptops based on an MX-series GPU except the MX350, you cannot have hardware encoding at all using one of those GPUs because they don't support NVENC at all).

Meanwhile, Intel had not updated its QuickSync encoder/decoder at all since the Kaby Lake days of late 2016. Today's 10th-Generation Comet Lake (10th-Generation mainstream desktop platform) CPUs still have only Intel UHD Graphics 6##, whose technology is a slightly tweaked version of the Intel HD Graphics 6## that was in the Kaby Lake (7th-Generation) CPUs of late 2016. In light of this, Adobe may depreciate Intel QuickSync hardware encoder support in a future release of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the release of version 14.4 of Premiere Pro, coupled with the release of newer drivers from Intel that now require QuickSync for both decoding and encoding or completely disabled, QuickSync support in Premiere Pro 14.4 is now depreciated - restricted to those Intel systems with a compatible later-generation CPU and integrated Intel graphics but no discrete GPU at all. So, once a discrete GPU is installed, Quick Sync will be effectively disabled for both decoding and encoding.

And although the current 14.4 version does not have hardware decoding via a discrete GPU, future versions of Premiere Pro are planned to include it.

All these changes will not help those PC owners with a very-low-end discrete GPU such as most of the GeForce MX line as they completely lack hardware encoding capability whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, i found this video here, very helpful

Moderator Note: Link/text removed. Sorry. Please do not use Console to change the application. It is against our corporate guidelines and is a request from Adobe Premiere Pro engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Adobe, this really begs the question.  I tried the remedy mentioned in the video using the console, and it fixed the issue perfectly. So I suggest if you don't want people looking for their own solutions to this flaw in the software, you should probably implement those checkboxes by default.  If there is some good reason why hardware encoding should be disabled in premiere pro, when all I have to do is use the media encoder queue to enable it, you should provide us with an explanation why.  And reinstate that video suggestion. It's very helpful.

And maybe change the above to read Please do not use Console to change the application. It may fix your problem.

Of course if my laptop starts smoking tomorrow as a result I'll come back and retract all this.  But it's really annoying to have things just stop working in a certain way when they've been doing fine until the latest 'update'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi , i have the same problem on my mac pro 6,1 with 2x amd fire pro d300 .

have you any suggestions ? 

regards 

saeid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines