• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having serious performance issues with 23.4.0 and 23.3.0

Participant ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record I have the fastest Mac Studio Ultra money can buy. I am using HD proxies or just plain HD footage, and it chokes every 10 seconds of playback. Noticed this on 23.3.0 and 23.4.0. Have muted all of the tracks that are not playing, copied and pasted in new timelines, created a new project and pasted. I am stumped. 

Ran the BlackMagic disk speed test on the drives and I should have no problem pushing 4K. 

I have also been editing for 30 years so have done all of the usual maintenance things.

Does anybody have a similar problem and have you figured out a solution? 

Mac Pro Studio

Apple M1 Ultra

128 gb of memory

Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and everything has been transcoded in ProRes 422 HQ, including proxies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you using prores 422 HQ for your proxies?  Much better to use Prores proxy...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, I've been doing this for a long time. I have a pretty bulletproof workflow that I have been doing for years, and I also churn through a ton of media at lightning speeds. We could probably do a whole discussion about preferential codecs, but I will save that for another day. Thanks for looking at my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

literally everything  unplayable for me Windows 11.  This is frustrating...I thought it was an extension....NOPE.  Did an alt+shift startup and  disabled 3rd party extensions...same thing....no playback at all.  What a time vampire this is. Thank God I found this thread and it's not just me beating my head against the wall alone in this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great.... went back to 23.1 and it's still not playing anything. I can scrub...but I can hear anything. I see the video scrubbing, but it won't playback. The play button appears pushed but no video/audio.  wtf is happening...now I reallly do think it's me because this is weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted today under apple security update degraded performance and after testing extensively thinking it was an issue with the Mac it turned out to be the 23.3 and 23.4 upgrade. Any timeline with more than ine layer is stuttering. Reverting back to 23.2 fixed the issue. The ironic thing is that mu timeline is red R3D and the 23.3 update was supposed to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my testing version 23.3 and 23.4 is underutilizing the CPU vs 23.2. For example my project in 23.3 and 23.4 is only using 5-10% CPU and 98% GPU urilization and the same project in 23.2 spikes the CPU to 90% initially and stabalizes at 30% and the GPU holds steady at 88%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dooley. I am going to give it a go, and will let you know how it works out. 

I was also having issues with exporting a few nights ago. I think this is all tied to the same update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be testing a bit more later next week but just have to get this project done so will stick to 23.2 for now. Do you happen to be using nexted sequences or opacity on multiple layers? I'm trying to narrow down if this is just this project finding a bug or if it is more general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dooley, still having the same problem. I agree wtih your hunch though, probably has something to do with Apple's security update. Adobe's lack of response to these changes is concerning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even working at half or a quarter resolution doesn't solve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do jot think it was the security update as i rolled it back and it did nothing to resolve the isssue. That said going back to Premiere 23.2 did fix the performance issue. Did you try rolling back to version 23.2 to see if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did roll back to 23.2.0 (build 69) and am still having the same problem. Thanks for staying on it and keep me updated wtih what you discover. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldnt export one night... so I updated to 23.4.0 and now the poerformance is just totally gone... and it crashes and makes all kinds og wierd bugs... 
sitting on a Macbook pro M1 Pro.. 
I do this for a living and want to stay with adobe, but Davinci Resolve seems more and more like the better software to use.. I was so sure after adobe gave a big promise at NAB that they now would do better... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I am on Windows 11 I updated 3 days ago to 23.4 and almost acted like my projects were crashing, and playback was totally gone. Updated today to 23.5 and still terrible. I saw this forum and went back to 23.2 and the playback is back to normal. UGGGG wasted so much time today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not been back to test for the last month as we had a fresh human show up at the house haha. I'm back to work now and the problem persists. I have noticed that having  clips referencing the same video file layered on the timeline even if they are muted impacts the performance a lot on any version after 23.2. Also doesnt have to be the same section of the file just any clips layered that references the longer file. Do you have layers regerencing the same longer file? I am still trying to figure out what changed but performance is still much worse with the new versions of premiere. I still suspect that it is some sort of bug and potentially layered clips could be a clue.

Im still deep in this project although one section did release. Slipknot Memories was the project I was really pushing performance and it almost melted my mac after updating to 23.4 last month. This next project is lighter weight but still seeing playback issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having performance issues with both of my Windows 11 PCs with 23.3 and 23.4. In the PugetBench for Premiere Pro benchmarks, my export performance scores dropped. 23.4 made it even worse with a broken Quick Sync module when used with a discrete GPU; in fact, 23.4 effectively added an "F" to the end of my main system's i7-12700K, effectively making it an i7-12700KF. In addition, my CPU effects score dropped slightly with 23.4 compared to 23.3 and earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you say that I did a tually try to open an older project on my PC and was complaining that I couldn't get an older project to open. I ended up walking away from it for a couple hours and when i fid finally get back to it the project was at least able to play. I'll be adding that to the list of testing. I'm actually surprised that this issue isn't being reported more. I asked an editor friend who also uses mac to see if they were having issues hut they are also in the midst of a project and haven't updated yet. For my situation both projects are hsing blend modes extensively so that may be where my issues are originating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be troubleshooting my own issue by disabling one of the hardware H.264/HEVC decoders before I run the benchmark test. You see, by default on my main PC both Quick Sync and NVDEC are enabled, which caused confusion as to which decoder to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this back up to the top. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you on this one. Im also having issues with 23.4 crashing or wont open a project from a portable Lacie HDD. I love Adobe but im sick to death of this years builds. Im reverting back to to 23.2 which was the only stable version for my system and my system is quite capable of editing 6K footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance is dreadful on 23.4 for me on Windows. CUDA is enabled but playback is almsot impossible without rendering first, which takes forever. 23.1 works just fine so I've rolled back.

Windows 10
RTX 3090 24Gb
128GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several users in another thread (probably related to slow performance with captions) reported improvement by opening PR first and then opening their project. I can't replicate the performance problems, so can't test this. But other users reported it made a big difference, and I don't know what to make of it. I never open projects from the project file. I don't know if they were working with projects created in previous version or not.

Has anyone in this thread who is opening from the project file tried opening PR first?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, this is the way I always open projects and can confirm it does nothing. My timelines are still unplayable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines