• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HD Proxies not attaching to 4K files

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shot 4K footage from the Canon C300 Mk111, Black Magic 6K pocket Camera, DJI Mavic 2, GoPro, and a bunch of other misc footage (ie. Timelapse rendered in AE). The DIT transcoded all of the footage on set with clean wav form audio in Davinci Resolve and outputed to UHD 3840 x 2160 which we are calling 4K proxies. He then transcoded those into HD Proxies (1920x1080). I am trying to use the HD Proxies instead of the crappy proxy presets inside of Premiere and they are not attaching. I am stumped. Does anybody have any advice here?

Normally I stack HD on top of UHD/4K. I work in HD, then drill down and unmute footage if I have to punch in or what not. The amount of footage I am dealing with here is sometimes 4 cameras syncing (which would mean 8 layers, with multiple tracks of sound). I have been hearing how much proxies have improved and was advised I was doing this wrong. My old workflow can't get a little hairy but this workflow has been bullet proof for quite a few years. 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to attach? Do the clips have the same frame-rate? Eg. No 23.98/24 mismatch.

Do they have the same number of audio channels?

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/ingest-proxy-workflow.html 

The supported workflow allows attachment of Proxies with other frame sizes & PAR (pixel aspect ratio) combinations that are divisible by the Full Res clip (for example, 1920x1080 1.0 PAR Full Res and 960x540 1.0 PAR Proxy or 1440x1080 1.33 PAR Proxy), but other parameters such as fielding, frame rate, duration, and audio channels must match. Mismatched audio channels results in warning dialogs and are not allowed, but other mismatched video parameters are not blocked and results in issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are identical clones of the 4K proxies. Dropped in media encoder to the exact specifications of the clip only in HD.

Nothing happens. I go through the whole process and nada.  I right click the metadata display box, list Proxy Media Path and File Name and nothing shows up. 

I just want to make sure this is possible that you can use HD proxies not the default ones they have listed. 

Technically they are exactly half in size, that is why I told the DIT to encode in UHD (3840 x 2160) not 4K. 

I am really puzzled on this one and the clock is ticking on me from the client. Should I trash the preferences? Remove Media Cache files? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

MacPro 5,1, Mojave, Premiere Pro 15.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Did the DIT name the proxies according to Premiere Pro spec when they were created (using "_proxy.<filetype>")? https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/ingest-proxy-workflow.html#CreateProxies

It that is not working, then yes, trash preferences - which is a step listed in the documentation I just linked you to. 

This is kind of a common problem as assumptions are made by certain techs that do not understand the correct cross platform constraints. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Thank you so much for your help. I was shooting in Italy with an Italian crew. He insisted on doing the transcode in Resolve. I have used Resolve a lot but have never done transcode to it. We had a bunch of mixed media so he married the clean audio to the video in Resolve then transcoded everything out in UHD (3840 x2160), then dropped those files in Media Encoder for the HD proxies. Could this be the disconnect that is causing all of these problems? 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What codec and frame rate are you using?

As an example, I have a Sony FX-9 sample clip (25fps, HD) which has 8 audio channels. If I drop it into Media Encoder and choose say...DNX LB 1080p 25, by default, it will export with only 2 audio channels. This will then NOT connect as a proxy to the original camera file in Premiere.

If I go to into the encoding settings in Media Encoder and change the channels to 8, then this resulting export WILL connect as a proxy in Premiere.

^ This may not be your issue but it's worth double checking ^.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines