• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: The File Cannot Be Opened Because of a Header Error

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to import your image(s) to Premiere Pro? Does “The File Cannot Be Opened Because of a Header Error” pop up? Adobe Expert, Jens Trimmer, created an article and video containing fixes for the issue. Check these out.

Here's Jens' updated troubleshooting guide if you run into the error:

https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-the-file-cannot-be-opened-because-of-a-header-error/

Jens also made a video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpyTbWZWJ8

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 159 Replies 159
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of PR? I have a test .srt, and I just tested it successfully in 12.1.0.

I copy pasted your code into a text file and named it .srt. I can import it without error. Probably from the web, it only had one subtitle till I cleaned out an extra return and space between subtitles and added a final return at the end.

I wondered if the quarter second space between 4 and 5 was an issue, but it displays on the PR timeline okay.

There is, of course, no header in the file; not sure what the error means.

If you provide a link to your file (or send me a PM for an email), I can test to see if there is something about the file itself (ASCII issues?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer, but I've fixed it now.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. Yes, the "file issues" I referred to was the culprit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem. The error was in the file coding, and not in the caption coding. So...I took my 700 subtitles in my srt file and uploaded them to YouTube as captions for a video file, then I downloaded that srt file from YouTube with fresh file code written for it, and Premiere accepted the import.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - this did the trick for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer! i use Aegisub 3.2.2 to output my srt again, and Premiere accept it, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in case anyone is searching for this present day, none of the fixes exactly in here seemed to work for me or were too complicated/worth the time in trying (ie downloading a random program).

MaryBustraan's answer seemed to be the closest so what I did. Here's what I did:

- Opened the .srt file in a text editor (I used notepad) and saved it as a .txt.

- Then I went into the file directory and changed the .txt to .srt (View --> Checked the "File name extensions" box)

After this, I was able to open the file in Premiere, however, only the first 2 lines of subs showed up in the 67 lines that were supposed to be. Found out that there were some formatting issues. So you may have to go into the text editor and find and fix these issues.

Here are some examples of what I found in my text that Premiere was having issues with importing correctly:

Example 1:

00:04: 09.220 --> 00:04:17,140

is a way that has always been

characterized by great seriousness

[There was an unnecessary space in the time code, check for uniformity]

Example 2:

00:02:08.220 --> 00:02:12.200
the top partners in our business.

00:02:12.200 --> 00:02:17.220
So definitely a very important impact.

[The start and stop time codes for different lines cannot be the same. I ended up changing line 28's start time to 00:02:12.201]

Example 3:

00:03:12.220 --> 00:03:15.640
for example: the red, green and white wires

[Premiere didn't seem to like colon in the text portion]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else having this problem, as I was, this is how I solved it  ... I opened the .srt file in a text editor and deleted a blank line at the top of the file and then Premiere Pro was able to open the .srt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. It is possible that that was the actual effect the youtube "conversion" had.

One of the reasons to ask for the file and not just some code from it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou @MaryBustraan! Very easy fix. Deleting the blank lines at the top of the file worked for me also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mary. You saved my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the most relaxing thing to learn today. Thanks for sharing this timesaving "know how"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had the same issue and the YouTube trick is too much complicated.

The main reason why Premiere does not import the SRT file is that it recognises only text files saved with Windows and not with macOS's TextEdit. The latter encodes slightly differently the line breaks.

Here's the method that works all the time: just open the SRT file in BBEDIT (the app is free forever despite the message proposing you to pay to unlock advanced features but you don't need them) and Save As... and be sure to use the following options.

And if the last subtitle does not appear, just add an extra one with dummy content.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 09.32.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, was having a nightmare but will make my week a lot easier. #not all hero's wear capes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you click format, convert to plain text in TextEdit it saves it as a .txt, and then you can turn it into an .srt and PP will understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked, nothing else did - Nov 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of stated above work for me (Win 7,  Premiere cc 2017)

*.srt file should be in this specific format ( seems "-->" is important)

coding: utf-8

example:

00:00:03,330 --> 00:00:08,450

This is my first title

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As silly as I feel now, this fixed it for me - the srt template I had downloaded had used only '->' so I replaced all for '-->' and it worked fine! 

Reminds me to do things properly in future, not use quick shorcuts off the web! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixable on MAC within Text Edit.  Just open the file with text edit and remove any spaces at the beginning of the file.   

Also - make sure the file is not saved as "Rich Text Format". You can change this in the "Format/Make Plain Text" option.  

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 4.43.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On PC, the fix was pretty simple for me.  I took a file which generated the error, opened in Notepad, clicked Save As, changed the filename, and then selected "Encoding: UTF-8" and clicked Save.  That file imported just fine with no errors.

2020-04-30-SaveSRTforPremiereImport.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem, on Premiere 14.0 on Windows 10.  I've tried everything in this thread and nothing has helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videurgist,

The devil is in the details. There are multiple causes for this problem, and some require more troubleshooting than others.

I'll send you a PM.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem.  My srt file was formatted incorrectly.  I found this article on troubleshooting srt files, which lists all the formatting requirements.  It turned out the srt file the client sent me was missing some digits in the timestamps.  The correct format is

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:05,000
Subtitle text here

But the timestamps in my file were as follows:

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:05
Subtitle text here

And some of the entries has only one digit for the minutes instead of two, like 00:3:33,000 instead of 00:03:33,000.

I went through and manually fixed all of these, which was fine because it was just a 5 minute video.  I'm not sure if there are programs that will automatically detect and fix these kinds of errors.  I downloaded Aegisub and it wouldn't open the file before I fixed it, but it did tell me that there was a timecode error on line 2 (the first line with an error), so that was something.

Premiere imports the file fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videurgist,

Thanks for sharing the .srt. And yes, you've done the heavy lifting by fixing the format errors.

I opened the file with my favorite captions app, SubtitleEdit. It opened the file fine, despite the errors. SE has a "List View" and "Source View," and even in the Source View, upon import, it corrected the errors you describe. However, since the milliseconds information was missing the the original file (as seen in a plain text editor), it simply inserted ,000 for the milliseconds, and this likely shortened the caption length by up to a second. Using its Tools -> "Fix Common Errors" was not necessary.

The only significant error it caught when I ran the fix errors tool was that Caption 43 appeared to have the wrong starting seconds (13) instead of 4. It finds a number of stylistic issues, but nothing worth mentioning here.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar header problem with subtitles. I had a subtitle script that I sent to our copy editor to look for any spelling errors in technical terms.

She sent me back the corrected .txt file. It looked identical to what I had sent her but with changes. Anyway, I opened it in TextEdit document (on Mac), selected Make Plain Text and then saved it, and then changed the extension to an .srt file. 

Everything looked very clean in this subtitle file, but when I selected "Import", I got the dreaded "Header Error" so I couldn't import it. Everything looked perfect with the file, and I copied and pasted it into BBEdit and other programs, still with the same problem.

Then I found out that she had opened it in MS Word and saved it from there as a .txt file. So I took her file and dragged it onto the MS Word icon and a dialog popped up that said "Convert from >>> Unicode Text". I then chose Mac Encoding and looked at the file.

At the very beginning of the text before the line number were 3 gibberish letters - this is what the first line looked like: 

Ôªø1

I deleted the "Ôªø" leaving just the "1" for the first subtitle line. Then I copied the whole text of the subtitle file and pasted it into TextEdit, made it plain text, saved it as .txt, then changed it to .srt. In Premiere I selected Import and voila! It imported perfectly.

Anyway, Microsoft Word seems to sometimes insert stuff into what look like straightforward text files. So even though I didn't see these characters on my first attempt originally opening her file directly in TextEdit, I think they were there, kind of like invisible characters.

So the solution was to go back to open up the file in MS Word when someone edits a file in it, just to make sure there is no residual garbage. I hope this can help someone who is working with subtitles in Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines