• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Premiere Pro after update and also moving folder has changed my colors!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

Ok i have a strange one, I cant work it out. I have an issue when i drag footage from a Sony FS5 S-log 3 from my project libary to my timeline it changes the colors (to an almost treated log color) Here are 2 images, left is just the clip opened and the right image when its on the timeline. 

The second image is to show there are no effects on the clip.

This was working fine yesterday, I updated premiere but I also moved the whole project to a different hard drive. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. 

Cheers

TOPICS
Editing , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire underlying color system was rebuilt in the 2022 release. Prior to this, the color system was assumed Rec.709, now it's color space agnostic. And many default behaviors have changed. Plus, Premiere is not working with some media as the engineers expected, so we have some broken parts of the new system for which we're awaiting fixes.

To give an idea ... all HDR is log-encoded. Most SDR/Rec.709 is "integer encoded", except for some log-encoded media that is still expected to be treated as SDR/Rec.709 color space. And currently, Premiere is not only treating all HLG clips as ... HLG, an HDR form, it's also treating some log-encoded clips that are expected to be Rec.709, as if they are instead HLG.

For these clips, go to the clip in the bin. Right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, and select Override, set to Rec.709. That should fix the clip ... make sure of course the Sequence settings are also set for Rec.709.

If you are not allowed to override to Rec.709, well ... that's a problem. Premiere is not allowing the Override setting to be used with a few Sony and Panny media types.

I'm including a couple FAQs, the first covers the changes, how to work within the new system, and what's broken. The second covers how to monitor if you are working in HDR, which has also changed with this release.

Neil

FAQ:PremierePro 2022 Color Management for Log/RAW Media

How to Set Monitors for HDR work in Premiere Pro 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much mate, that worked! Was that change to color management recently added? Because I have never expereienced it with the Sony FS5 and log3 before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, as noted in the first of the two FAQs, the underlying color system of Pr2022 is completely new. Premiere was a Rec.709 based color system " ... with the ability to use HLG/PQ values as over-range Rec.709:".

It's now clearly color-space agnostic. And the default behaviors have mostly changed also. So read away. It's very different, and they've not got everything needed for the new system finished yet. It's pretty clear we'll be getting more tools and changes over the next few months.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines