• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horribly long render times in premiere on high end PC

New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3070 with an i9-9900k and 32gb of 3200mhz ram but for months now and since I've switched to premiere '22, I've had up to 5 or 6 hour render times for 6 minutes of video. Does anyone have a solution. It seems as though my gpu just isn't doing the hardware acceleration yet my integrated graphics is disabled. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro needs to be tweaked. Premiere Pro can also be buggy. Are you editing H.264? Are you editing Pro Res, BRAW or R3D files? Do your stats look a lot like mine? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFu9vhOuHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insight into the media and what you're doing with it? Are there effects involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are effects and captions in h.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JonesVid,

Sorry! See if you get better performance with the new version, v.22.4. There is an improvement in speed for specific formats. Let me know if it helps. If not, give us more info on those H.264 formats, etc. CPUs are not always maxed out with every format, so your experience may vary depending on your workflow. I'm sure the community would be happy to detail your workflow with you. I'd be interested for sure.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

The workflow is based on the Hybrid Pro Res approach for Preview whereby they are used to create a final Master file on final render.You did a feature on this yourself some time back.

My Footage is mostly H264 or H265 4K but the issue is not that - it is MOGRT templates - even some of those in Adobe Stock.

Now I am yet to dive in with both feet with Ae to create my own but I would imagine some MOGRTs are not designed as effiently as they could be.

My issue with Premiere Software is that I do not see any logical reason why during Rendering more CPU power is not been used. This looks to me that processes withing rendering are not optimised to use the 8 cores and max threads in the CPU (i9900K in my case as well)

As regards new releases improving things, I'm afraid I always treat statements like that with sceptisism as unless they are quantified from a proper engineering standpoint they are meaningless.

They are marketing statements without backup.

Now there are some good things about Premiere which is why I still use it after all these years, but I am becoming frustrated on the number of releases with silly mistakes and clearly lack of proper QA software procedures in haste to rush out some new glossy Marketing feature as a 'me too' feature versus product X.

If Adobe want users to stick around then we need to see more sleeves rolled up rework on inefficient areas of the software.

I'm going to conduct some tests on earlier versions back to V13.1.5 but, at present I am in the middle of a project which means I need to focus on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak to your points about engineering and all that, but yeah when you start bringing in MOGRTS you really don't know how they are made (unless you make the or crack them open in AE). At that point you are basically opening up After Effects in the background and every frame in Premiere comes after it gets the full render from the AE side. That's at least my understanding of it. Some graphics over in AE could take a long time to render per frame, depending on how they are made, the effects they use, etc. We're talking 30 seconds, minutes, etc. per frame. Depends on the complexity. You'd have to wait for at least that long per frame plus whatever extra delay there might be in the dynamic link process. 

Maybe this doesn't relate very well to your situation. Maybe your graphics are incredibly simple. This is just speaking generally about it in case you aren't used to the AE stuff happening behind the scenes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI JonesVid,

Sorry about the issues. I have to agree with Phillip on .mogrts in that it is difficult to maintain a smooth workflow if you do not have much control over their contents. My advice is to learn how to crack them open to inspect the contents. If they contain any video files, you can check the codec or frame size they are created with. You can try and replace media or use a placeholder for the .mogrt. Does that work?

After Effects cannot process video very well in real-time like Premiere Pro, so every time you introduce anything "AE" into the pipeline, like .mogrts created in AE or dynamic link comps, you run into performance issues. You can render and replace them or render them in ProRes if your sequence settings are configured as such (and it sounds like that's what you are already doing). Optimizing media is the one thing an editor can do to improve workflow. It sounds like you have almost every base covered except this one.

Reading CPU and GPU monitors where you don't perceive the software taking full advantage of your system can be confusing. Different codecs process video in various ways, so they are "using only what they need." That info is not widely spread or known, but it is what engineering says. Stack on top of After Effects not being able to process video like Premiere Pro is frustrating. 

I think that you are on the right path, though. I hope we can work out a "best plan" for your workflow moving forward. You've identified the rough patches, and I think we can navigate those. Feel free to engage me with any questions, and if I can't help, I'll find someone that can.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin and Philip for comments

There is no doubt I will have to learn more about Ae but so far I have only tweked existing templates for Fonts etc.

On another point though, I thought you could create MOGRTs within Premiere without Ae?.

Do you always need Ae in the background for MOGRT's in Premiere Pro?.

As regards CPU use can you refer me to any benchmarking/articles that show performance improvements between an 8 core processor and 16 core?. - I think perhaps I should post a question in Video Hardware discussions for that one really.

Finally - does Premiere Pro really make use of all cores and threads available?. Any Adobe articles on that?

I will do some tests on different SW releases once I get my current project completed and post findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JonesVid,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you can make .mogrts within Premiere Pro. I do it all the time. I prefer creating .mogrts in Premiere Pro, as that way, they are also available in Rush once saved to a Library. AE-created ones aren't available in Rush. This .mogrt workflow allows me a lot of flexibility to post content directly from my mobile phone or iPad. 

AE .mogrts are great for the media replacement feature, text animation, roto, and specific effects, which are impossible or difficult to pull off in Premiere Pro. 

If you have a .mogrt derived from AE, then yes, a headless version of AE runs in the background, as I understand it. Example: If I create a .mogrt in AE with an obsolete Premiere Pro effect that no longer exists in the application but does in AE, that proves that AE is running the headless version (but you can't see or control it). It will take some horsepower to drive that baby, so yes, another great reason to boost performance is to use your Premiere Pro .mogrts instead as much as you can.

Check out the Puget Systems site. They have a bunch of white papers that can answer these questions in detail. It would be the best place to go for such information. Like this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-AMD-Threadripp... The Hardware forum is good too.

I hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be trying to edit an odd variation of H.264/265 that Quick Sync and Nvenc cannot make use of when using Premiere Pro. Below is a video that demonstrates Quick Sync and Nvenc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this in Video Hardware recently as I can see (in Windows resource monitor) Premiere Pro appears to not be making efficient use of CPU power for rendering when it has more capacity available,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware-discussions/pc-hardware-performance-improving-renderin...

My scenario is slightly different to the original post but I'm just sceptical on how efficient the coding has been in later Premiere Pro versions.

I am using a hybrid ProRes method to create a Pro Res Master copy for then generating fast export versions, but earlier PP versions seemed faster to me.

The timeline is H264 4K 50fps with mix of some Lumetri correction and the MOGRTS. The Previews are all created in 4K Pro Res during Timeline Render which are then used for the final export.

I'm going to go back to an earlier PP version and conduct more simliar tests to see if my CPU is being driven harder than only 49% usage using version 23.3.1.

The 2070 Super GPU is used but I don't have that many GPU accelerated effects in use, so not at very high % use.

It has been suggested the MOGRTs I purchased as stock templates are not built efficiently, which could be another factor, but I would have expected the CPU to be pushed harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tracks with what I'm seeing, but I don't think it's complex or inefficient mogrts. In fact, when I'm watching the Encoding window of Media Encoder, it will hang on some frames - the thumbnail doesn't change nor does the status bar or Elapsed/Remaining time displays. While it hangs, there is almost no CPU/GPU activity until it starts moving again. The elements that make it hang are the simplest of mogrts (from AE) with just an icon and text on top of footage. It never hangs on a full-screen AE mogrt or the footage with nothing on top. I built a quick workflow out of AE mogrts and this bug has broken it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dthree_pmi,

Sorry. What happens if you create new mogrts from the latest After Effects version? Any behavior change? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try importing the mogrt to the latest version of AE and creating a new one, same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dthree_pmi,
If you upload a sample mogrt, I'd be happy to pass it along to an engineer. Let me know the URL and I'll try to make it happen.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sent a DM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a disaster. I'm  on a 3 year old Surface Pro 6 with i7 and 16GB of RAM and it's fast, very fast. 6 minutes video takes about 3-4 minutes to export.

Have you tried downgrading to 2021 version? 2022 is known for loads of bugs and glitches. Many people have been complaining about export being buggy.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines