• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I copy sections of a clip from one sequence to another?

Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long sequence (about an hour), composed of about 8 long clips taken at an event. They're assembled in chronological sequence and synced to a master audio track.

I want to grab sections of these clips to create a short (90 second) video. Is it possible to select small chunks of the long clips to place in a new sequence (most don't need the audio, but some do)? I tried double-clicking a clip in the timeline, then setting In and Out points in the Source panel. Then dragging just that portion to the new sequence. That royally screws up the long video because it then shows only the In/Out-defined segment there.

How the heck do I do this? Do I need to use the razor tool and cut the long clips up? That sounds kind of messy. What's the best/simplest approach here? 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

How about good 'ole COPY & PASTE? Command+C & Command+V from on sequence to another. thats Pretty easy!

Or you can right click the clips that you want and select "Make Subsequence" and then put all those clips together. 
Or, you can just export the video that you have -- then import that FULL video into Premiere, and use the Razor tool (C) to cut out the parts you dont want, or to keep the parts you do. 

Or you can just duplicate the sequence, and edit out the parts you don't want.

Hope this helps!
m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Yep, drop it on there and start editing! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you'd want some basic training. You might look into Assembly mode. The keyboard shortcuts Q and W will be your friends. You can drop the first long clip into to the new timeline. then go to the Inpoint of that you want and press Q, it will take you back to the beginning of the timeline with that part at your playhead at the top. Go to the point where you want that to stop. Cut/razor the clip. Mov your playhead forward to where you want the next cut to start. Press Q, you will be taken to the prior outpoint, and your clip will be set to start right where you are... Etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you do your cuts, select all the desired clips, right click, and select Nest.  They will be placed in a new sequence for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about good 'ole COPY & PASTE? Command+C & Command+V from on sequence to another. thats Pretty easy!

Or you can right click the clips that you want and select "Make Subsequence" and then put all those clips together. 
Or, you can just export the video that you have -- then import that FULL video into Premiere, and use the Razor tool (C) to cut out the parts you dont want, or to keep the parts you do. 

Or you can just duplicate the sequence, and edit out the parts you don't want.

Hope this helps!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so the solution seems to be to duplicate the long sequence and cut out the parts I don't want. That seemed clunky to me but in fact I suppose there's no difference between that and cutting out chunks in the master sequence then pasting them into the new timeline. Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, drop it on there and start editing! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PASTE TO SAME TRTACK/TARGET TRACK, doesn't work. It pastes the top layer or the adjacent clips before/after the In-Out selection/segment. You can't copy the layers (including adjustment layers) all together in that segment. As I mentioned the only work around is to lift, undo, then paste. This will do the trick. Try it guys and gals, let me know if you have another solution instead of doing 3 steps or more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll look around, but steps 1 and 3 are required, no? So, it's just the extra 1 step, undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, how can one copy a segment (In-Out; say In point of first clip then Out on the next CLIPs) on the timeline and paste it somewhere else or to another sequence. I thought it's Alt C but no doesn't work(like in Avid), the only workaround is to use lift then undo then press Alt C and paste it anywhere. this is useful if I only want to edit part of a clip or sound bite or whatever: copy it and paste.. Yes, I can match frame and copy paste but if I had done some effects plus adjustment layers on top and I want to copy the whole segment in-out including all the layers, I can't. can Adobe do something about it? N.B. I can't assign a short cut since the entry name is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw (in Windows)

Ctrl-C is copy.

Ctrl-V paste.

Ctrl-X cut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not what I am refering to. But @Ann Bens gave the solution: Paste to same track or target track. Simply, if you have2 or more adjacent clips with adjustment layer and sound beds/layers so you want to select a segment of the timeline, your suggestion only copies the whole of the clip(s) and not part of it (including other layers), that's not what we want. But Paste to same track would work, other than lift, undo, then Alt C would work too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try pancake timeline workflows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.. Last time I thought it worked (i was in a hurry) but now since I am testing it, it is not working 😞 it's not the same as I want to do. I want to copy the segment highlighted on the timeline, Paste To Same Track /Target Track, will paste the whole clips adjacent to the IN-OUT section, and not only the segment that I want. Adobe must have this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines