How can I stabilize my clip from scanned warped 8mm film

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to stabilize a movie file of a scanned 8mm film, but I'm NOT talking about the motion of the subject of the film. The film was already slightly warped from aging when I sent it through my trusty wolverine scanner, and as a result, the individual frames did not maintain their location from frame to frame during the scan.

You can see the issue clearly here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrpru8osbuoghol/8mmUnStabilized.mov?dl=0

- I've tried using warp stabilizer, with "no motion" and "position only" and "stabilize only" selected. It didn't work.

- Then I tried exporting to aftereffects and using the "track motion" as outlined in several youtube videos:

https://youtu.be/P8ly3_26QIo

https://youtu.be/cm1kU9EI_tA?t=142

but that doesn't work either even though I'm following the tutorials exactly. Maybe AE is thrown off because I'm marking one of the big white sprocket hole areas as the object to track and it doesn't like that? I dunno.

- I even tried manually fixing the position with motion keyframes in premiere frame by frame, using a still image as a reference superimposed on the track above. It took me 45 minutes to do 1 minute of actual footage and the results were less than impressive for all that tedium.

Anyone ever had to do this?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to tell the app what to stabilize on and what to discard for stabillization.

This is best achieved with Warp Stabilizer in After Effects, not the Warp Stabilizer inside PPro.

First, edit your footage inside PPro. When done, import the PPro project inside AE (File > Import > Import Premiere Pro Project).

Second, search for and apply the Warp Stabilizer effect.

Inside the effect, twirl out Advanced, select Detailed Analysis and select Show Track Points. After the analysis has finished, you re-start the manual datapoint selection process by deleting the tracking points that you don't want the stabilization to happen on. This typically is everything in the frame, safe for the border holes.

Everytime you select and remove the points you don't wish to stabilize on, stabilization will happen again. Skip a few frames forward and repeat the process. Eventually, the track will get better as you remove more data points.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Any thoughts on why, when I check on "Show Track Points" I don't see any actual track points? I played with the resizing, thinking they were too small to see, but it had no effect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines